Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 15th June 2005, 02:58 PM
milosilak Offline

NetworkManager applet in FC4

I am trying to get ipw2200 working on a Dell Inspiron 600m laptop in FC4 (for several months I kept trying to do this in FC3 and never got it working). From what I've found on the web, I am guessing that I could try NetworkManager. However, I am not able to start it (nm-applet is missing from the installation). Does anyone know where to get nm-applet. I do have NM version 0.4 installed (from the FC4 installation CDs) but couldn't find any documentation. Thanks.
Old 15th June 2005, 04:00 PM
milosilak Offline

I actually do have the applet (or so it seems), it is just not called nm-applet. I am able to start it through NetworkManagerDispatch from the command line. It keeps scanning for a wireless device. When I tried iwconfig, it showed that I don't have wireless extensions on any adapter. In my modprobe.conf file, I do have the following line

alias eth1 ipw2200

And I know that the driver for ipw2200 is installed. Would anyone be able to tell me why I still have 'no wireless extensions'? Thanks.
Old 3rd July 2005, 03:37 AM
astrobrewer Offline

I think that the applet is actually called NetworkManagerInfo in FC4. I think that this is the same as nm-applet in FC3.
Old 15th July 2005, 05:27 PM
suv Offline

I am using NetworkManager-0.4-18.FC4 on a cisco aironet card (eth1) and have two problems:

1. although my nic card is disabled (eth0), the applet keeps trying to connect initially to wired network by default.
2. the signal strengths for all wireless networks shows 100% on the list, but is correct after connection.
Old 16th July 2005, 01:46 AM
Iron_Mike Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by milosilak
I am trying to get ipw2200 working on a Dell Inspiron 600m laptop in FC4 (for several months I kept trying to do this in FC3 and never got it working). From what I've found on the web, I am guessing that I could try NetworkManager. However, I am not able to start it (nm-applet is missing from the installation). Does anyone know where to get nm-applet. I do have NM version 0.4 installed (from the FC4 installation CDs) but couldn't find any documentation. Thanks.
Download the ipw2200 firmware 2.2 and put it in /lib/firmware directory, reboot and open the Internet Connection Wizard and see if the module shows up.......

Mike....
Old 16th July 2005, 01:53 AM
gavinw6662 Offline

When I just recently updated to FC4 I forgot to start the Network Manager service, did you start that?? Once started, type NetworkManagerInfo on a command line and it should fire up properly. How about it??

Tags
applet, fc4, networkmanager