Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 14th June 2005, 08:08 PM
jeffers Offline

FTP Query

With FC4 out thought i'll get it so tried the torrent 1st, i use Azureus and haven't downloaded anything for ages via torrent, what happened this time was beside going slower than slow i was unable to view any web pages it seemed to freeze the internet connection.

No worries i thought i do a straight download from one of the mirror sites, I am based in the UK so naturally thought the nearest to me would be the best, I was wrong. The UK mirors was slow tried an american mirror started off good but gradually went downhill.

Today on resumption thought i'll have a go with a site in Belguim well that doing it great guns, being finished D/L in 2 hours now.

I'm not up to speed with all these protocols or whatever. but can anyone explain why the American and Belguim mirror can be accessed faster than my own country based mirror sites.

And if anyone is finding there own nearest mirror site slow try further afield it worked for me.

Cheers
Old 14th June 2005, 08:14 PM
bytesniper Offline

speed on the internet depends on a lot of things. does the place your trying to download from have an upstream cap? are there routing problems between your node and the ftp site? how many hops between you and your destination? how many people are also trying to download from that site?

physical real world distance really doesnt mean a great deal on the internet. i could hit a site here in the same state and go over more hops that from here to west coast (US).
Old 14th June 2005, 08:18 PM
jeffers Offline

Cheers for that fast response, I've plenty of things to go on from your reply, all helps in a greater understanding of this all

Thanks
Old 15th June 2005, 12:22 AM
Jman Offline

There are many factors into how fast mirrors are, including how much bandwith they have and how many are downloading at the moment. As a rule the lower the time it takes to ping a site and the fewer hops it takes to get there the faster things will be. With fiber optic backbones distance isn't as important.

Bittorrent also slowed down my connection. ADSL wasn't designed for bittorrent, you need a lot of upload for it to work right.

Tags
ftp, query