Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 14th June 2005, 12:02 AM
Gav Offline

C++ Windows console to Linux Console porting

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of an 'excellent' faq or even book that covers the finer details of C++ development on Linux, especially in relation to an advanced windows coder making the change over.

I have a couple of fairly complex console screen management librarys written in 'Borland' C++ that I think that porting them would make an excellent learning exercise to better understand the methods of linux development.

I am looking more for a guide on linux devlopment specifics and methods, than a guide to C++.

Also any good information on ASM development for the linux platform such as assemblers and interupt lists would be very helpful.

I have only in the past used linux for hosting and testing web projects but feel it is time to jump in to some more serious and useful linux devlopment.

Any document recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Gav
Old 14th June 2005, 08:05 AM
Daverz Offline

I see a few things on freshmeat.net:

http://unix.freshmeat.net/search/?q=...&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

You might want to use ncurses or the slang screen handling library instead so that your code works in a terminal emulator as well as the console. I've written slang programs that work in a windows DOS box as well as an xterm. This topic has come up here before, BTW.

For the other things google is your friend.

I should point out that the unix API is a C API. You can find C++ wrappers for various things, though. Try looking around on freshmeat. Also frameworks like Qt or wxPython insulate you somewhat from OS differences.
Old 14th June 2005, 09:55 AM
Gav Offline

Thanks for the link and the info

Great stuff.

If C is native I shall concentrate on C.

Thanks.

Last edited by Gav; 14th June 2005 at 10:01 AM.
Old 14th June 2005, 10:09 AM
bitrain Offline

C++ will work too, I program in it (not very complex things though) on Linux and never had any problems.

Laptop: Nec Versa p550, Pentium M 1.86GHz, 1024MB ram, x300, 80 GB HD, bluetooth, 2915BG Wlan card
Desktop: Amd Athlon x2 4200+, 2GB ram, Geforce 7300GT 512MB silent, 160GB HD in a nice centurion 534 case :cool:
Old 14th June 2005, 06:11 PM
Daverz Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav
Thanks for the link and the info

Great stuff.

If C is native I shall concentrate on C.

Thanks.
By all means use C++ if it makes your life easier (e.g. by using STL). C probably seems pretty austere after using modern C++, and g++ is a good C++ compiler. But most of the online and paper docs specifc to Linux programming (as opposed to more general frameworks that happen to run on Linux, like Qt) use C.

Tags
console, linux, porting, windows