Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 12th June 2005, 01:52 AM
mikegabriel Offline

Unable to access the CDROM

Hello, I am tired of running Windows server so I am trying to switch over to Linux. I have a dedicated box sitting in my closet for this. Here's my problem...

I put in Disc 1 and boot into the Install. Choose webserver and then I go through and uncheck things like Firefox since I want to learn how to install them myself and have the latest versions. It continues the install, saying it will require discs 1, 2 and 3. Then it asks for disc 2 and copys the files needed. Once it asks to insert disc 3, it prompts the error Unable to access the CDROM. Now I got these cds from work which we have used all 4 (Full Install). But I figured cds can get scratched and went off and downloaded Disc 3 again. After burning it, it couldn't read it either. I canceled the install and restarted it, same error.

Anyone have any suggestions? I am really trying to switch over my main box to Linux if I can get it put on and learn it.
Old 12th June 2005, 03:25 AM
gavinw6662 Offline

this is probably way off topic, but I have gotten the same error in the past. I don't know what it is, but when I first installed FC3, everything went fine, and now each install after, i do get that error more frequently, the way I get around is by putting the cd in my second cd drive, but I know not all are that fortunate. So I am not sure I know the solution. Did you burn the iso at a slow speed?? That might be a cause, I can't remember the speed I burned mine on, but the faster you burn the iso, the more problems I hear. Good Luck!!
Old 12th June 2005, 03:28 AM
mikegabriel Offline

yeah i burnt the 2nd try of disc 3 at slowest speed my burner goes. as far as a second drive, i dont have that option, my case is made out of lego.

Tags
access, cdrom, unable