Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 10th June 2005, 12:21 AM
v8s10blazer Offline

Unhappy Laptop LCD data cable damaged, repairable?

I know this isnt a hardware forum but there are very intelligent people here and maybe someone can help me...

Ok heres the story-
A customer has a laptop that wont display... It works out of the monitor ouput so that tells me the laptopf unctions...
Come to find the LCD's data cable is torn... Its a flat ribbion tht you would see in like CDrom drives, etc...

I tried to buy the part on ebay, the f**ker screwed me and now i have an angry customer wondering where the hell her laptop is...

Ive gotta mend this ribbion cable and i have an idea...

You guys have seen an IDE cable right? Its got those teeth that puncture threw to the connector... Well maybe i can find something like this... But a small block that has a lot of little teeth on it... That way i can clamp it down and enable the cable to work. However id need a block with a lot of teeth close together so it doesnt connect two different wires in the ribbon...

So does anyone have an idea how to fix this damn thing? I cant find the part anywhere and compaq said id have to buy the whole 800 dollar display... UGHHH

-andy
thanks for any help
Old 10th June 2005, 12:45 AM
Tashiro Offline
Retired Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8s10blazer
I know this isnt a hardware forum
Moved to Hardware.

Damn $800,-

How about a local special electro shop or try to find old compaq laptop for $200,-. And get a cable from that machine?

Tashiro
Old 10th June 2005, 02:46 AM
v8s10blazer Offline

Well after i wrote the guy who sold me the part on ebay a nasty email, gave him some bad feedback, and filed a complaint with paypal, he repiled to me email. Hes like whats wrong i shipped in a timly manner?

LMFAO! TIMELY MANNER? It should have been here ON MONDAY!

Well lets hope the thing shows up... He said he shipped it so i hope he did...

-andy
Old 10th June 2005, 04:21 PM
Avix Offline

ask him for a tracking number (ALWAYS get a tracking number)
Old 10th June 2005, 07:19 PM
imdeemvp Offline

Try www.ebay.com it may be cheaper. Lots of pc parts at low price. Just last week I purchared stebping rails for may pathfinder and only paid $139.00 and regular price a local accesorie store $352. Also a laptop hd you can get it for about $80 (80gb!!) brand NEW and many other things for laptops and destops.........

sounds like I am doing a commercial.......

Easiest and most friendly desktop ever is PCLinuxOS! Includes all this apps. Just try it.

"The greater the struggle THE greater the achievment."

Do you know HIM?

If you are an idiot click here. NThis will test you linux skills :D
Old 11th June 2005, 12:55 AM
v8s10blazer Offline

YES! The idiot actually did ship the item... But he shipped it a week after I PAID...

The laptop is fixed now and i have a very happy customer...

Thanks for the support guys! oh it already was from ebay... Some website had it for 75 dollars... Thats pretty steep...

Tags
cable, damaged, data, laptop, lcd, repairable