<---- template headericclude ----->
newbie - new software doesn't seem to install icons on desktop/in menus
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    arjay Guest

newbie - new software doesn't seem to install icons on desktop/in menus

When I install new software, the install sequence doesn't seem to put a launch icon on the desktop or in the KDE menus (or anywhere else I can see for that matter). Is this normal - because I then don't know how to find the files to run the programs. In windoze, at least I could find the right file because it would invariably be an *.exe file.

How do I <easily> identify the equivalent file for a bit of linux software.?

Thanks

bytesniper Guest
    usually it doesnt, at least on my systems. easy enough to work around though. i create a new icon on the desktop name it appropriately. the app will either be in or have a link in /usr/bin. the icon will usually be in 'other icons'. if the rpm contains an icon it may not show up until you restart KDE (i konw thats the case with the openoffice icons).

arjay Guest
    Sorry - not with you. Do you mean you find the apps relevant "exe" file, drag it to the desktop and rename it? Or do you mean you actually create new icon on the desktop and then link it somehow to the apps launch file? If so - how?

Thanks for the prompt reply BTW

bytesniper Guest
    if you right lick on the the desktop youll get a menu that has a Create New-->Link To Application. click there and it will open a window to create a link. on the first tab give it a name and click on the icon next to it and it will take you to another window where you can specify an icon. installed apps usually will be listed under "other icons". ignore the second tab, shouldnt need it for this. the third tab (application) is where you actually tell it what file to run. the only blank you need to fill out there is a blank called command. it will 99% of the time be in /usr/bin/{appname} where {appname}=the name of the application your creating a link to.

tejas Guest
    Well, first find out where your program is.

There is a pretty good chance the name of the ".exe" file is just the program name in all small letters.

ex: GNU Plot become 'gnuplot'

1. Run the program in the terminal
    $ gnuplot

2. Find where it is
    $ whereis gnuplot
    ex: /usr/bin/gnuplot

3. Make a link to it on the desktop. Best way to do this is to soft link it
    $ ln -s /usr/bin/gnuplot ~/Desktop

if you could not find your file that way, try
    $ locate gnuplot

-Tejas Dinkar

arjay Guest
    Hey - thanks guys. Good advice and I can actually understand it. Can't ask more than that! I'm off to find all my missing apps and give them icons and homes!

Regards

Richard