Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 8th June 2005, 08:46 AM
fearism Offline

Exclamation Ati Mobiltiy Radeon x700 - question/problem

Hi all!, first off I wanna say that Im new to this forum.

My problem as far I know is well known, searching around the forum for solutions about ati drivers fix and problems, but I couldnt find any help for me, when my problems goes more specific(I think) to at the graphic card "Ati Mobility Radeon x700". I just updated the box with the new kernel (2.6.11-1.27_FC3), but it wont find the graphic-card it automatically(Thats fine),
When I search trough the drivers supported I only find cards in my series up to x700(Typical! tropical..)

Its not that it doesnt run well or the graphic sucks or anything, i just want the correct driver for my card.
Old 8th June 2005, 09:46 AM
ieuuk Offline

have ati not released any graphics drivers because i would have thought they had seeing as nividia have

Registered Linux User: #373024
Old 8th June 2005, 10:04 AM
fearism Offline

ieuuk: Im sorry, but I didnt catch what you were trying to say.
Old 8th June 2005, 10:53 AM
k4dgw Offline

Have you tried following the steps in the FAQ? www.fedorafaq.org
Old 8th June 2005, 11:20 AM
ieuuk Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearism
ieuuk: Im sorry, but I didnt catch what you were trying to say.
sorry... i was just asking if ati have released official drivers for their cards like nvidia have for their cards.

Registered Linux User: #373024
Old 8th August 2005, 03:08 PM
Adesso Offline

I too have some trouble with my card, well it working ok... but at max res of 1024X768 and the colors look a littel funny around the edges of the fonts.... Asus Laptop with a 128Mb ATI Mobility Radeon X700... if I set the screen res higher.. it falls over and KDE doesn't start again.. plus I get about a thousand or so mesg from the system that it can't read the state of the LCD screen...

I am cheking out the FAQ in the meanwhile

My Work Box
My Home Box
Old 8th August 2005, 11:17 PM
k4dgw Offline

Have you set the monitor to generic lcd? I have my x700, in a desktop, running at 1280x1024, into an LCD panel, and it is working ok with the current drivers. Check the settings are try some tweaking on the xorg.conf. Let me know, I can post the xorg.conf, its already posted elsewhere, for that computer.
Old 10th August 2005, 09:20 AM
Capodastro Offline

Hallo,
I really don't know if we own the same laptop model, anyway my one comes with a preinstalled tiny Linux partition, it seams to be a Red Hat and all, I mean all, the drivers are inside. x700 is included. The drivers are possibly written by Cyberlink. PowerDVD is inside of the compiled kernel, the drivers are outside. I am quite knoledgable about Windows, no idea about Linux. On the moment I am trayng to figure out what to do and I learn about Linux. If you have any idea let me know.
Regards,
Capodastro
Old 10th August 2005, 12:51 PM
Adesso Offline

I have changed the screen to a generic LCD.. but still get the same errors .... I#ll post a new thread with more detailed info...

My Work Box
My Home Box
Old 12th August 2005, 04:37 AM
Capodastro Offline

Hallo,
in xorg.conf, made to watch movies, I found about:

Section "Files"
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "extmod"
Load "glx"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "keyboard"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "ZAxis Mapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Card0"
Driver "fglrx"
Option "MonitorLayout" "LVDS"
Option "VideoOverlay" "On"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Card0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "800x600"
EndSubSection
EndSection

The kernel is Fedora
Regards
Capodastro
Old 12th August 2005, 05:05 AM
k4dgw Offline

Your driver is fglrx, so you are running the ATI driver, so you are (as near as I can tell based on your concerns) good to go.
Old 12th August 2005, 12:31 PM
Capodastro Offline

Hi Dave,
It is quite not as simple as you mean. Despite my good knowledge about Windows, I count as good developer; I am an absolute beginner by Linux. Some weeks ago I purchased a new laptop, a Targa Traveller 826T. By the way I am very satisfied, despite the too tight relation with XP. Incredibly I found on the HD a Linux partition powered by a hardware button which starts Cyberlink PowerCinema. An installation CD named QickMedia is also provided. An upgrade file is available right now by Targa. The upgrade seams to be also a complete installation. It comes together with a small pdf book about Linux and GNU copyrights. I concluded after reading that the drivers should be free, also in accord with many examples like Panasonic or Iomega under DOS. In my case the right way would be to extend a such Fedora installation, getting finally a complete OS. I will need a lot of time and patience to do that: first I have to learn at least the basics about Linux. Anyway, at this stage I am already able to start the Console.
Perhaps I should start a new thread, getting help from advanced users and making the drivers available to everybody. What do you think about?
Ben
Old 12th August 2005, 03:49 PM
k4dgw Offline

I have not heard of a setup like that before. If you have a base installation that is Fedora (in a console type uname -r and that should give you the name of your kernal) then you can extend that installation using yum. If you look through the faq, www.fedorafaq.com it shows some info on yum. The tough part on that is knowing what to tell yum to load. Good luck and happy learning.
Old 12th August 2005, 04:17 PM
Regulus Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearism
Hi all!, first off I wanna say that Im new to this forum.

My problem as far I know is well known, searching around the forum for solutions about ati drivers fix and problems, but I couldnt find any help for me, when my problems goes more specific(I think) to at the graphic card "Ati Mobility Radeon x700". I just updated the box with the new kernel (2.6.11-1.27_FC3), but it wont find the graphic-card it automatically(Thats fine),
When I search trough the drivers supported I only find cards in my series up to x700(Typical! tropical..)

Its not that it doesnt run well or the graphic sucks or anything, i just want the correct driver for my card.
To all following these threads!

Check out http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=62532 .... Scroll down and look for the instructions by aster..
Not sure if you're running on a AMD64 (or if that matters!) but I have the x700 as does aster as does another on that thread and we've all got it working!

Assuming you have a different pc / screen res. or other just check the xorg.conf file that you need to edit to make sure all entries are compatible .... It shouldn't take you more than a few minutes and the x700 will be yours!

Cheers.
Old 24th August 2005, 11:28 PM
Capodastro Offline

Ok, ATI released a couple of weeks ago new linux drivers. They are for 9600 and better, or somethig like this. x700 is included. I installed them end they work very well.
But be careful alredy by installing Fedora: as monitor select LCD, size 1280x800. As graphic resolution 1024x768 AND NOT 1280x800. By installing Feddie select as drivers VESA, they work anyway well. Don't forget to download the new audio divers, by Realtek. They are incredible!!!
Regards

Tags
ati, mobiltiy, question or problem, radeon, x700