Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 29th May 2005, 11:29 PM
Mario_D Offline

Setting Hostname and DHCP_hostname

Hello,

I am trying to understand networking in a mixed (windows and linux) environment. I have been able to FTP from Windows to my FC3 box, but only if I provide the IP address number. I would like to be able to FTP to the FC3 box by name. It's name is 'antec' . Currently the response I get is "unknown host"

I would appreciate pointers.

Here is what I have :

Ethernet cards on both machines
Linksys Router BEFSR41
Linux Fedora Core 3

Configuration files follow:

------/etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0-----------
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Ethernet
DHCP_HOSTNAME=antec

-----/etc/sysconfig/network-----------------------
NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=localhost.localdomain

-----/etc/hosts--------------------
# Do not remove the following line, or various programs
# that require network functionality will fail.
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain
-----------------------------------
Old 29th May 2005, 11:41 PM
Firewing1 Offline

Hey,
to change regular hostname, add this line to /etc/hosts:
127.0.0.1 NewHostname.localdomain NewHostname
and change the line on /etc/sysconfig/network
HOSTNAME=localhost.localdomain
to
HOSTNAME=NewHostname.localdomain
Obviously, [b]NewHostname[/b[ is your new name...
Firewing1
Old 30th May 2005, 12:01 AM
fsck Offline

First, do what firewing said. The linux machine doesn't appear to have it's hostname set. You should probably fix that.
Second, if you are using dhcp then there is no guarantee that you will keep the same address for very long, consider using static IP.
Third, you need address resolution. This is either provided by DNS/WINS, in which case contact your network administrator, or by you.
If you only have the two machines, you need to tell the windows machine what address you mean when you use the name "antec", You need to add the following line:
Code:
x.x.x.x  antec
(change "x.x.x.x" to the IP address of the machine "antec")
to the file
Code:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC\HOSTS
for windows XP, or
Code:
C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC\HOSTS
for Windows 2000.

This tells Windows that when you say "antec" you mean address "x.x.x.x".

C.
Old 30th May 2005, 01:12 AM
Brian1 Offline

Also can be set in /etc/sysconfig/network as well.
Old 30th May 2005, 02:33 PM
Mario_D Offline

Thanks to Firewing1 and fsck. I now have correct naming of my machine as antec.

My next step is to set my ethernet card to a static IP via the GNOME Network Configuration tool.
Old 31st May 2005, 10:44 AM
projkt4 Offline

how would i accomplish this without changing the hosts files on my local network.
basically how would i go about making the fix described in this thread by having teh dns do its job?
that is if i am correct in assuming that the dynamic name server is supposed to link ips with hostnames.
Old 31st May 2005, 01:38 PM
fsck Offline

DNS is the Domain Name Service, and yes it is designed to resolve names to IP addresses. There's a good guide on the LDP pages: http://www.tldp.org/LDP/nag/node34.h...CTION004600000

C.
Old 31st May 2005, 06:35 PM
jsturtevant Offline

i have a similar situation... I have set hostname on a new FC3 box. I am using DHCP so the new system obtains it's IP from the DHCP server. How do I get FC3 to register this new host with DNS so that the other systems can find the new system via DNS.
Old 31st May 2005, 06:51 PM
fsck Offline

Well, I'll tell you how I work here. I've got 172.16.3 which contains only static IP's, but given out using DHCP. That is, the clients are set up to request addresses using dhcp when the interfaces are started, and the dhcp server will always give the same IP address to the same interface, specified using the MAC address. I do this so I can easily change all the IP addresses of my clients by changing the dhcpd.conf on the server and waiting for leases to expire.

I've also got 172.16.4 which is a dynamic IP range for any other clients who want to connect to the network, because their hostnames/IPs I don't really care about.

Then I set up DNS to resolve the IPs in 172.16.3 to the correct hostnames, and away I went.

Of course, if you rely on an ADSL router or any other system which cannot allocate IP addresses to specific MAC addresses, then static IP is probably the way forward.

C.
Old 31st May 2005, 07:53 PM
jsturtevant Offline

i do something similar. I have a Linksys WRT with sveasoft firmware. When I place an entry in the DHCP table to handout an IP to a specific MAC address the hostname is also placed in DNS.

I would think there would be some way for a dynamic host to place it's hostname in the DNS table after it's been allocated an IP by DHCP.

Thanks,
Jim
Old 31st May 2005, 08:04 PM
fsck Offline

Yes, some implementations of dhcpd can alter dns zones, and there are scripts and so-forth which facilitate this on systems where dhcpd won't do it directly. Also, some routers will do dynamic dns. See http://www.mattfoster.clara.co.uk/ddns.htm for an example, or google "dynamic dns dhcp" or similar for more options.

Tags
dhcphostname, hostname, setting