Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 26th May 2005, 11:13 AM
scholarship Offline

Newbie -- installation for the first time

I never install or experience with LINUX installation before, planning to install FEDORA for the very first time in the coming days

1. I don't know the ways to RENEW my IP address ( I guess it will not be >ipconfig<)
2. I suppose the driver for my PCMCIA cable modem card, PCMCIA USB converter and mouse etc are window driver for my sony notebook, (I presume that it is for cable) , therefore, I worried that after setting up the LINUX, I won't be able to connect to the internet and get stuck for further steps -- 3com cable modem PCMCIA card

3. my ultimate goal is to gain some experience for setting up a web server

any basic and important software or hardware that I have to install, so let me know any basic stuff please, with so many thanks
Old 26th May 2005, 12:04 PM
jim Offline
Retired Community Manager & Avid Drinker Of Suds

1. to obtain your ip address
/sbin/ifconfig <--- shows all ethernet devices

/sbin/ifconfig ethX <--- desplay for a specific device X being the number of the device

2. See here for info about mobil tux
http://tuxmobil.org/mylaptops.html

3. You'll want the L.A.M.P
Linux
Apache
MySQL
PHP

When you do your install make sure these get installed

See this page about installation
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/l...install-guide/
Evem tho it says for redhat 9 it is the same for all Fedora Core releases

Good luck and remember, if you have a problem check the how- to sections
use the site search

I also have a page dedicated to fedora Core
see my siganture forthe link & peek a the "Calling all noobies" guide for some simple help
Registered Linux User: #376813
Western NY
My linux site
Smolt Profile

please remember to say if you problem was solved

Did you get your id10t award today?
Old 26th May 2005, 12:54 PM
scholarship Offline

my notebook is old , 366Mhz CPU, called PCG-F280

not sure whether the sony page got something similar

However, the most important thing is the 3COM PCMCIA FE272C-3com 10/100 network card work (LanCardBus-fast ehternet)and I am able to RELEASE / RENEW the Ip address, (you did not mention how to release and renew in your last post)

at least, I could get back to this web site

Thanks for your reply, hope that it will work fine and I could get back to there tomorrow

your sites look useful, have you thought about to use frame and some form of template to make it look more friendly -- just a thought
Old 26th May 2005, 02:12 PM
pparks1 Offline

releasing and renewing an ip address is simple

ifdown eth0
ifup eth0

This takes down the ethernet0 interface and then brings it back up. The default is to be set for DHCP and it automatically looks for a DHCP server when the interface comes back up.

You may have heard that Linux runs great on any old piece of crap machine. Most people are only talking about the command line interface when it comes to old hardware. You will likely notice that the system runs terribly slow under X Windows on your particular computer. You need a pretty beefy system with a fairly nice graphics card to get a GUI environment that performs more like Microsoft Windows.

You have a lot to learn if you really want to get into Linux. There is not a whole lot that transfers over from the Windows world. It's worth the effort that you put in, but it's not an easy transition.
Registered Linux User #375155 For More Info or to register yourself

My Linux box is:
Ubuntu 8.04, Antec Sonata II case with 450-watt PS, AMD 64 X2 4600+ (65 watt), 4GB DDR2 800 RAM, 18X Lite-On DVD burner, Asus M2NPV-VM, Nvidia GeForce 7600GT (256MB), 320GB Western Digital SATA 3.0Gbps, Logitech MX-310, Dell 18" ultrasharp LCD, Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 and 2.1 Boston Acoustics sound system..
Old 26th May 2005, 03:55 PM
scholarship Offline

thanks, I will start tomorrow, hope that I just get the internet up and running

Xwindow, long long time, heard of that before, but dunno what it is
the video and graphic card in this notebook is minimal, never play any PC game on it

I want to learn about LINUX, so that I could say in the resume, I know about LINUX and maintain web server, but after reading your kind reply, it will be a long long way to go, I guess

in my university, there is a cluster of LINUX that is installed and running, without ADMIN password, can I learn it over there , rather than setting up at home??

Tags
installation, newbie, time