FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31
  1. #1
    Tyl3r Guest

    Sound will not work! SB Live! FC3

    Ive searched google many times trying to fix this but nothing seems to work. I am a noob. This is the first time ive used linux and I installed FC3 this morning. I got everything working fine (moniter, vid card, printer, all buttons on mx510) but the sound will not work.
    When I do the soundcard detection, it shows my card correctly but I press the test sound and i dont hear a sound. Heres a screenshot of what it shows:
    Screenshot Here
    Please help me get this working, remember im a noob so if u need some info tell me HOW to get it
    Thanks a lot!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    1,930
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not 100% sure about KDE, but in the Gnome -> Preferences menu, there is a 'Sound' tool where you can select to 'Enable Sound Server Startup'.

    You will probably also need to open the volume control and unmute / adjust your volume settings before you hear any sounds.

    Many people have also encountered trouble with the volume repeatedly being muted after reboot (despite adjusting the mixer before rebooting). If you experience this issue, the way to fix it is to open a terminal window, and issue the following command (as root).
    Code:
    /sbin/MAKEDEV -d /etc/udev/devices/ sound
    hth,
    Jason
    There is no 'CTRL' button on Chuck Norris's computer. Chuck Norris is always in control.

  3. #3
    Fedora@75 Guest

  4. #4
    earl23 Guest
    Count another newbie with the same problem.

    I, too, have googled and tried other research methods to get to the bottom of this.

    I have a Dell and from what I've read, the sound card is not, strictly speaking, a Creative Labs but an OEM of it.

    I've installed Core 3 and then upgraded everything, including the kernel.

    Here are some of the error messages:
    Upon booting into KDE: "Error while initializing the sound driver. Device /dev/dsp can't be opened (no such file or directory)

    I get the same error as Tyl3r with the soundcard detection, namely, it says it's detected the Creative Labs emu10k1x but there is no sound.

    I've tried opening kmix but that tells me "Mixer cannot be found".

    I've tried aumix: "error opening mixer"

    I've tried alsamixer: "function snd_ctl_open failed for default: no such file or directory"

    On some other postings, I've seen where people have asked to see the result of lsmod...here's mine:
    Module Size Used by
    parport_pc 28421 1
    lp 12489 0
    parport 40201 2 parport_pc,lp
    autofs4 26181 0
    sunrpc 164485 1
    ipt_REJECT 7105 1
    ipt_state 1857 1
    ip_conntrack 40601 1 ipt_state
    iptable_filter 2881 1
    ip_tables 19777 3 ipt_REJECT,ipt_state,iptable_filter
    video 15813 0
    button 6609 0
    battery 9285 0
    ac 4805 0
    md5 4161 1
    ipv6 259201 8
    usblp 12993 0
    uhci_hcd 33497 0
    ehci_hcd 39501 0
    hw_random 6101 0
    i2c_i801 8653 0
    i2c_core 21953 1 i2c_i801
    emu10k1_gp 3649 0
    gameport 5057 1 emu10k1_gp
    snd_emu10k1 110149 0
    snd_rawmidi 28641 1 snd_emu10k1
    snd_seq_device 8781 2 snd_emu10k1,snd_rawmidi
    snd_ac97_codec 71097 1 snd_emu10k1
    snd_pcm_oss 51953 0
    snd_mixer_oss 18241 1 snd_pcm_oss
    snd_pcm 99657 3 snd_emu10k1,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
    snd_timer 33093 2 snd_emu10k1,snd_pcm
    snd_page_alloc 9669 2 snd_emu10k1,snd_pcm
    snd_util_mem 4801 1 snd_emu10k1
    snd_hwdep 9185 1 snd_emu10k1
    snd 56741 9 snd_emu10k1,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device,snd_ac97_co dec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer,sn d_hwdep
    soundcore 10785 1 snd
    e100 46401 0
    mii 4929 1 e100
    floppy 64753 0
    dm_snapshot 17669 0
    dm_zero 2497 0
    dm_mirror 25773 0
    ext3 131145 2
    jbd 82777 1 ext3
    dm_mod 59221 6 dm_snapshot,dm_zero,dm_mirror

    I REALLY want to work with Linux but I also REALLY need to have sound.

    Thanks for any help.

    Earl

  5. #5
    Tyl3r Guest
    Turning on enable sound server startup didnt work.
    Whenever I try to open volume control this is what i get: Sorry, No Mixer elements/ devices found
    I'll try what fedora@75 posted now

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    1,930
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also - to all of you out there with "Stock" installations, you will probably want to upgrade the 'udev' package. It's responsible for handling many hardware devices in Fedora and has been known to be a little wonky on "stock" (non-upgraded) installs.

    As root,
    Code:
    yum update udev
    And at your earliest opportunity, do a complete system upgrade (equivelant to a Windows Update)
    Code:
    yum update
    Making sure you are using the latest apps and drivers often helps kill the bugs.

    Jason
    There is no 'CTRL' button on Chuck Norris's computer. Chuck Norris is always in control.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    1,930
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyl3r
    Turning on enable sound server startup didnt work.
    Whenever I try to open volume control this is what i get: Sorry, No Mixer elements/ devices found
    I'll try what fedora@75 posted now
    That probably won't work and stands an excellent chance of really breaking your setup. Because FC3 uses udev, those instructions don't necessarily give you the correct info. Fedora and its stock kernel ship with all necessary drivers.

    m2c,
    Jason
    There is no 'CTRL' button on Chuck Norris's computer. Chuck Norris is always in control.

  8. #8
    thesource Guest
    I don't carry a soundblaster card but had a similar problem. What happened is that I updated FC and downloaded a newer kernel. Whenever I use the new kernel I can't hear sound everything seems to suggest that sound is coming out. AFter I reboot with the stock kernel I can hear sound again.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    1,930
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thesource
    I don't carry a soundblaster card but had a similar problem. What happened is that I updated FC and downloaded a newer kernel. Whenever I use the new kernel I can't hear sound everything seems to suggest that sound is coming out. AFter I reboot with the stock kernel I can hear sound again.
    You might need to update your alsa-kernel module as well.

    Try:
    Code:
    yum update alsa-kmdl
    Jason
    There is no 'CTRL' button on Chuck Norris's computer. Chuck Norris is always in control.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    35
    Posts
    9,221
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey,
    I've got a Dell too, and my sound didn't work in FC2. In FC3 fresh install, it worked, but anyway, I compiled a doc on how I got my sound working. Here it is:
    http://s-computers.dyndns.org:8080/h...usinstall.php?
    just replace the emu10k1 with emu10k1x, as you said before your card is a OEM...
    Good Luck,
    Firewing1
    [+] My open source software and blog
    [+] Some of my howtos: (for full list, click here)

  11. #11
    Tyl3r Guest
    i just installed those drivers, and still no work
    when i type alasmixer i get this:
    alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or directory

    plz help
    Last edited by Tyl3r; 10th May 2005 at 11:15 PM.

  12. #12
    Tyl3r Guest
    k nvm, i got it working!!!!!!!!
    I had to use the emu10k1x because dell says my card is sound blaster live! and its not lol
    Thanks guys

  13. #13
    earl23 Guest
    Wait a minute....you got it working?

    Details, please......I'm getting the same error messages that you said you were getting.

    What did you do to get it working?

  14. #14
    npie12 Guest
    Hello, I also have a SBlive card. I'm new to Linux so I tried the different suggestions posted on this forum. This worked for me: I downloaded and installed the latest Alsa drivers from http://alsa-project.org. I still had to enable the sound after a reboot so I added the following lines into my "rc.local" file found in the /etc/rc.d/ directory. Now my sound works on reboots. I'm sure there is a better way to do this but my next step was going back to XP.

    cd /usr/src/alsa/alsa-driver*
    ./snddevices
    /sbin/modprobe snd-emu10k1;/sbin/modprobe snd-pcm-oss;/sbin/modprobe snd-mixer-oss;/sbin/modprobe snd-seq-oss
    /sbin/alsactl restore

  15. #15
    Tyl3r Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by earl23
    Wait a minute....you got it working?

    Details, please......I'm getting the same error messages that you said you were getting.

    What did you do to get it working?
    It only works if you have a dell:
    Click Here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Does any one have their ipw3945 work on F10 live CD?
    By BrillianceLin in forum Hardware
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 18th February 2009, 09:28 AM
  2. Live CD doesn't work
    By FelixT in forum Installation, Upgrades and Live Media
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25th December 2008, 04:55 PM
  3. FC6 live CD doesn't work(?)
    By orhor in forum EOL (End Of Life) Versions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 9th February 2007, 11:22 PM
  4. No Sound. Sound Blaster Live! Value
    By ve6szs in forum Hardware
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 4th May 2005, 05:56 PM
  5. FC3 Sound Blaster Live ... no sound
    By rclark in forum Hardware
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 10th December 2004, 07:07 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •