Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 4th May 2005, 04:18 AM
ajwynn Offline

Trying to modify CTRL ALT DEL

I'm trying to modify my box so that the CTRL ALT DEL key combination does nothing. I edited /etc/inittab from:

# Trap CTRL-ALT-DELETE
ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t3 -r now

to:

# Trap CTRL-ALT-DELETE
ca::ctrlaltdel:

Then called:

/sbin/telinit q

which I believe should tell init to re-read the /etc/inittab file and put the change I made into effect. When I press CTRL ALT DEL, the "Are you sure you want to log out" dialog still pops up. I even rebooted, but the dialog still comes up. So, I am thinking that this is being caught somewhere else. Does anyone know what is going on here?

Thanks,

Tony
Old 4th May 2005, 08:04 AM
tonytiger Offline

Maybe it's Gnome which now uses the key combination. Go to GConf editor which can be found from Main Menu ->System tools. Next browse to /apps/metacity/global_keybindings and check if something is valued <CTRL><ALT>Delete.
In my configuration the key combination is assigned to run_command_1 and the command_1 is assigned to gnome-session-save --kill.
You can find the corresponding command from /apps/metacity/keybinding_commands.

Hope this helps.

Tony
Old 4th May 2005, 08:12 AM
ilja Offline

"Are you sure you want to log out" doesn't sound like
/sbin/shutdown -t3 -r now
This is a reboot. I would not take it out, as if your system one day refuses to work you can reboot it with ctrl+alt+del. So tonytiger's guess is much better.
Old 4th May 2005, 02:45 PM
ajwynn Offline

Thanks for the responses. Tony, you are correct, I have the same key binding. I thought there was something like this, I just couldn't remember exactly where it was. Ilja, I agree that the dialog I was seeing does not sound like the command /sbin/shutdown -t3 -r now, this is why I was so confused. I don't really want to do this, but was doing an assignment for a class. The question was how to disable the CTRL ALT DEL key combination from shutting down the machine, and if you would have to reboot the machine after making the changes for them to take effect. From the man page for init, I thought I should just be able to edit /etc/inittab then call /sbin/telinit q to have init reread the /etc/inittab file. When this didn't disable the key combination, I was confused and figured the key combination was being caught somewhere else above init. These responses have definitely answered my questions. Thanks so much.

Tony

Tags
alt, ctrl, del, modify