Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 3rd May 2005, 07:26 PM
Avix Offline

conflicting repos.

there seems to have been some talk about various repos being compatabile/incompatable with others (Dag/Dries V Livina etc)

does anyone have a list of which repos are compatable/not compatable with others? maybe even some kind of master repro list?
Old 3rd May 2005, 07:36 PM
ilja Offline

they have : http://www.fedorafaq.org/#installsoftware
and there are also the repositories conflicting with each ither marked
Old 3rd May 2005, 07:36 PM
tajidinabd Offline

well i read over this warning from this website about mixing repos and the dangers of it.

http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_cor...s.html#Warning

i hope this helps u better
Old 3rd May 2005, 08:15 PM
AndyGreen Offline

Reasonable writeup on that site... the guy is keeping with Dag/etc (RPMforge).

I just went and looked at the rawhide fedora-release package, it does not contain a .repo for extras so far, just these

/etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-devel.repo
/etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-updates-testing.repo
/etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-updates.repo
/etc/yum.repos.d/fedora.repo

If Redhat keeps out of shipping one thirdparty repo file or another (which makes sense since the whole idea is keeping Redhat (or more precisely the VC's money) away from stuff like mplayer) then I guess the situation is a lot less threatening. It's just too bad the extras guys insist to make their own decisions privately on packaging and the only way they will work with others is to demand to have packages "submitted" for their "approval".
Old 3rd May 2005, 08:43 PM
imdeemvp Offline

Maybe I have to make something very clear I dont use repos to keep my system up-to-date JUST to install extra software that we ALL know does not come with fedora. YUM is only to install third party applications not to keep my box updated. That is why my box is trouble free since I installed fc3 five to four months ago.

So if you want to keep you system safe and from conflicting packages USE up2date. And when ever I need to install something I only use one repos such atrpms if package is available from them.

Easiest and most friendly desktop ever is PCLinuxOS! Includes all this apps. Just try it.

"The greater the struggle THE greater the achievment."

Do you know HIM?

If you are an idiot click here. NThis will test you linux skills :D

Last edited by imdeemvp; 3rd May 2005 at 08:48 PM.
Old 3rd May 2005, 09:05 PM
ilja Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdeemvp
Maybe I have to make something very clear I dont use repos to keep my system up-to-date JUST to install extra software that we ALL know does not come with fedora. YUM is only to install third party applications not to keep my box updated. That is why my box is trouble free since I installed fc3 five to four months ago.

So if you want to keep you system safe and from conflicting packages USE up2date. And when ever I need to install something I only use one repos such atrpms if package is available from them.
Explain it please more detailied.
Old 3rd May 2005, 09:09 PM
imdeemvp Offline

Well, since I heard so much about the conflicts in fc2 I stopped using YUM. I started to use up2date (instead of yum update). The litte red icon with the exclamation mark does a great job and it should be the only way to update fedora.

Easiest and most friendly desktop ever is PCLinuxOS! Includes all this apps. Just try it.

"The greater the struggle THE greater the achievment."

Do you know HIM?

If you are an idiot click here. NThis will test you linux skills :D
Old 3rd May 2005, 09:24 PM
ilja Offline

Where is the difference in the manager?
If you don't like coffee is there a difference, whether you drink it from a cup or from a glass?
The main thing are your repositories. Change your repositories in your up2date and mix them during this process you will get exactly the same problem as with yum.
These are not conflicts of yum in anyway. Everybody speaks about yum, because it is used very wide and it is very easy to change repositories. So if you just leave yum after the installation as it is, it will work with exactly the same server as up2date does and there won't be a danger of mixing repositories at all.

I hope you know that if you install two packages from the "enemy-repos" that conflict with eachother, then there will be the same problems, there are not only brought with an update. And I also hope you know, that if the repos,where you installed an app from, are not inside of your up2date list of servers, then they won't be updated and you have an old buggy package in your system.
Old 3rd May 2005, 09:55 PM
AndyGreen Offline

I can't think of any benefit in having some repos' packages updated by one app and others installed and updated by another. They all use the same rpm libs and database underneath and install the RPMs to the same standard. If you would like to the expound on the benefits you see from this method, I would be interested to hear them.

On the merits of yum vs up2date, Up2date is "not an open source *project*" according to Chip Turner at Redhat, although he goes on (https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedo.../msg00681.html )

up2date is not an open source project. It is open source -software-
(feel free to embrace/extend it all you want), but to date it has been
developed strictly in-house in RHN to meet specific Red Hat goals.
That could conceivably change, given the right set of circumstances,
but it would need to line up with the goals RH and RHN have in mind
for up2date (or, at the very least, not be contrary to those goals).

RHN's goal is delivery of updates to RHEL folks so I guess that is largely consonant with Fedora needs, but I noticed a fierce pace of development on yum which *is* run as an Open project. Therefore I prefer yum since I predict it has a better future ahead of it, and that's the main reason I recommend folks use it in place of the other alternatives.

But, don't take my word for it.

Quote:
* To: For testers of Fedora Core development releases <fedora-test-list redhat com>
* Subject: Re: Worst experience with Up2Date ever.
* Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 12:03:05 -0400

On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 10:28:35PM +1000, Rodd Clarkson wrote:
> I'm having real problems with up2date since upgrading from FC2 to FC3t2.

Don't bother with up2date. Its unfortunate it wasnt dropped for FC2 if not
earlier. Use yum.

> installing. Worse, up2date would show that packages needed to be
> installed, but couldn't find them when asked to update them, or would
> show nothing needing to be updated when there were over 175 packages
> needing updating.

Some of this is out of sync mirrors I suspect. It isn't clear in the case
of mirrors the right way to handle this - yum can be given multiple mirrors
and will do retries up2date seems to just explode.
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedo.../msg01572.html
Old 3rd May 2005, 10:12 PM
w5set Offline

Well--I would recommend using the "setup" for RH Update the first time--cuz it asks you (sometimes forgotten in using yum the first time) if you want to get the GPG keys and is just a click and "save". But mostly after I use yum only, it's quicker from the commandline and ya don't have to go thru 5 screens to get it to fly--and as AndyGreen stated--YUM and Uptodate both use the very same libs/rpm database--both update those files every time used/abused --just depends on how far outside the normal update tree you want to add repo's from and the occasional problem you want to face. Sometimes a repo site has trouble and isn't availible and if you use the default "retries" settings in yum/update conf files it will hang up or crap out sometimes. Easy edit to have lower retries for either conf file and time taken to do any/all of the above "updating" stuff.
Bottom line is that mixing repo's will occasionally give you problems.
Old 3rd May 2005, 10:29 PM
tchung Offline
FedoraNEWS.org Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avix
there seems to have been some talk about various repos being compatabile/incompatable with others (Dag/Dries V Livina etc)

does anyone have a list of which repos are compatable/not compatable with others? maybe even some kind of master repro list?
A wise man said, "Focus on the Probelm, Not the Solution"
Here is how I see the problem.
Yes, there are "possibilities" of conflicts among third party repositories if they are not following the same rules such as "name/version/release/epoch/requires/obsoletes" during rpmbuild process.
To avoid those possbilities, I always recommend to "stay in course"
Think of it as driving a car. If you drive the main path and avoid driving "unknown" path, you're most likely reach the destination without any problem. But if you choose to drive "unknown" path with bumps and pot-holes, you know how much damage your car will get.

Yes, there are "known" and "good" repositories besides the default main repositories. You'll find most of them from FedoraFAQ. But you should be aware and be warned every packages you're about to install does not come with WARRANTY as states in GPL:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt

Quote:
NO WARRANTY

11. BECAUSE THE PROGRAM IS LICENSED FREE OF CHARGE, THERE IS NO WARRANTY
FOR THE PROGRAM, TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW. EXCEPT WHEN
OTHERWISE STATED IN WRITING THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND/OR OTHER PARTIES
PROVIDE THE PROGRAM "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED
OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. THE ENTIRE RISK AS
TO THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE PROGRAM IS WITH YOU. SHOULD THE
PROGRAM PROVE DEFECTIVE, YOU ASSUME THE COST OF ALL NECESSARY SERVICING,
REPAIR OR CORRECTION.
Thomas Chung
Old 4th May 2005, 12:02 AM
BandC Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyGreen
I can't think of any benefit in having some repos' packages updated by one app and others installed and updated by another. They all use the same rpm libs and database underneath and install the RPMs to the same standard. If you would like to the expound on the benefits you see from this method, I would be interested to hear them.
I think the main benefit is effectively you have two profiles (which you can also set up in synaptic or yumex if you wanted to I'd guess). I use yumex to do my regular updates (on standard packages). I use synaptic to update anything I installed extra (with synaptic). One can argue that it's not a great benefit but that's how I use it.

Up2date froze on me many times so I never use it. I only use the red exclamation icon as a reminder for updates. It also gives you a sneak preview of what updates are coming in a day or two. (yum updates-released repo is usually a day or two behind).

Do you like surfing forums but wish people would stop using obscure abbreviations and acronyms?
Then my Firefox/Chrome extension ABBREX is for you!
It automatically adds hover tooltips to abbreviations displaying their meanings on any web page you visit!

Check it out at: http://abbrex.com
Old 4th May 2005, 10:08 AM
AndyGreen Offline

I have to perform that argument that "two profiles" is "not a great benefit" ;-) but actually the "sneak preview" thing is true; the mirrors that you can actually download it from take some time to sync. How useful that knowledge is when you can't get the package is another matter ;-)

Tags
conflicting, repos