Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 17th April 2005, 02:14 PM
owakroeger Offline

xscreensavers in fc4t2

There are only 2 screensavers to choose from in Desktop > Preferences > Screensavers > Display Modes ; ant and lisa.
Neither one of them will launch fully. They give a series of messages about ....
xscreensaver la tee da
xscreensaver fol de rol
xscreensaver whatever

that's it. I filed a bug report, but no answer, yet.
Any clues?
owa
Old 18th April 2005, 02:07 PM
foolish Offline
Retired Community Manager

The screensavers in Core 4 test2 has been moved to seperate packages, they're called:
Quote:
xscreensaver-base
xscreensaver-extras
xscreensaver-gl-extras
The gl-extras package is screensavers that use opengl, these require 3d support to work properly.
Old 18th April 2005, 03:01 PM
owakroeger Offline

Hey, thanks, Foolish. I'll try installing these packages and see if that takes care of this annoying little problem.
owa
Old 18th April 2005, 03:53 PM
owakroeger Offline

That did it! Thanks. This brings me to a question; I'm certainly no expert, but I've been playing around in the Fedora sandbox for about a year. Moving packages from some groups to 'extras' might make sense, I suppose. However, how will people know what things have been moved, and where they have been moved to? Moreover, how would a new convert from Windows know what packages he needed, and what 'extras' he would need, let alone where to find them, or how to get and install them? Without notification or documentation, they would flounder even worse than I did. I even filed a bug report on a problem which was not a problem, except my problem of not knowing.
Perhaps some more thought should be given to what packages are included in what groups, and which packages should be moved, and how to let users know where these 'extras' packages can be found, and how to install them. Serious thought!
Just my opinion.
Again, thanks for your help.
owa
Old 18th April 2005, 08:40 PM
foolish Offline
Retired Community Manager

There's a list of changed done in the release notes. Always read the release notes when there's a new release, it contains a lot of good information. You'll find the release notes of test1(and test2 I presume) here: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora...4Test1RelNotes

As for the more fundemental issue of your statement: First of all, I agree, communication and educating the users of Fedora about the inner workings of the project and the distro is a major fault in Fedora as a project at the moment. There is little to no documentation, there's no real communication between the decission makers and the user community. I know there are people working on solving this, but to further emphasis the very nature of the problem, these people are working behind closed doors. I have no solution for you, if you find one, please do let us know.

Tags
fc4t2, xscreensavers