Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 15th April 2005, 08:47 PM
Finalzone Offline
Community Manager

For the curious, snapshot about the new yum-2.3.x

Those who are curious about the new yum.2.3.x can get some screenshots about the change. It is fast and clean which is improved from previous version. In fact, this yum matched and outclass apt-get thus given more credit to developers and users who use that package manager.
I have tried to rebuild yumex with a modified spec but the new rebuilt yumex will crash. I know, it is a development but I couldnt resist to try it out. Meanwhile, enjoy looking to the new yum.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	yum-2_3_x-01.png
Views:	584
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	4800  

Last edited by PeTzZz; 16th April 2005 at 05:23 PM. Reason: removed one attachment as md5sum showed that those screenshots were the same
Old 15th April 2005, 11:20 PM
wtogami Offline

Will yumex ever use the python API rather than screen scrape to get info needed by the GUI interface? I heard from Seth that the python API of yum will stabilize sometime in the near future.
Old 16th April 2005, 12:34 PM
mit Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finalzone
Those who are curious about the new yum.2.3.x can get some screenshots about the change. It is fast and clean which is improved from previous version. In fact, this yum matched and outclass apt-get thus given more credit to developers and users who use that package manager.
I have tried to rebuild yumex with a modified spec but the new rebuilt yumex will crash. I know, it is a development but I couldnt resist to try it out. Meanwhile, enjoy looking to the new yum.
I have test yumex with the new yum 2.3 in Fedora Core 4 (Test2).
The is some problems, because of some internal changes in Yum, I have fixed some of the problems, but not all of them yet, but i will get it working soon.
Old 16th April 2005, 12:37 PM
mit Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtogami
Will yumex ever use the python API rather than screen scrape to get info needed by the GUI interface? I heard from Seth that the python API of yum will stabilize sometime in the near future.
Sounds very interesting, never heard of it before. If there is a API for Yum i will use it.
I there any description of the API some where ????
Old 16th April 2005, 05:33 PM
PeTzZz Offline
Retired Community Manager

Some cool talk around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finalzone
Those who are curious about the new yum.2.3.x can get *some screenshots* about the change.
Finalzone, I hope that you don't mind that I removed one screenshot as they looked exactly the same and md5sum showed the same checksum to them.
Old 16th April 2005, 07:26 PM
Finalzone Offline
Community Manager

No problem, PetzZz.

I never used Python API before. I have Blender 2.3 book guide that provides some examples. Seeing the script, it looks very similar to C++.
Old 18th April 2005, 02:05 PM
Salomao Offline

I really liked this new look, better organization and really intuitive interface...
Old 19th April 2005, 01:24 AM
wtogami Offline

The trouble with what yumex does now (screen scraping) is that it is incredibly fragile and likely to break as yum continues development. Talk to Seth about the python API which is a more future-proof way of implementing this software.
Old 19th April 2005, 02:53 AM
Tristan Offline

How does the new Yum compare to SmartPM?
Old 19th April 2005, 08:52 AM
Finalzone Offline
Community Manager

I tried to rebuild smart but the compilation will fail on on ksmarttray. I haven't used smart in shell yet in Fedora Core 3, only with GUI.
Old 20th April 2005, 04:04 AM
wtogami Offline

smartpm is faster, but does not support multilib so that makes it impossible to fully support in Fedora.
Old 20th April 2005, 04:45 PM
Tristan Offline

Sorry, could you explain a little more? I don't know what multilib is!

Does this mean that it's not possible to have a "semi-official" version of Smart in Extras, as is currently done with APT-RPM/Synaptic?
Old 21st April 2005, 06:58 AM
wtogami Offline

apt-rpm and synaptic has the same problem. It supports only 32bit archs because the 64bit archs use multilib. Even though apt-rpm and synpatic are very nice, they need to die because they require totally different mirrors than the official Fedora mirrors. smartpm can use the official Fedora mirrors so it is in a little better shape, but still bad because it doesn't do multilib.
Old 22nd April 2005, 06:07 AM
mit Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtogami
The trouble with what yumex does now (screen scraping) is that it is incredibly fragile and likely to break as yum continues development. Talk to Seth about the python API which is a more future-proof way of implementing this software.
I have started to look at the lastest yum devopment, it look very interesting thay have implementented a plugin api so it is posible to make plugins to yum. There are also some yum shell function. Where you can make a txt file with some yum operation, so you can automate your updating etc.

The way yumex works at the moment is a mix of subclassing of the YumBase class and redirecting of output to a special output handler that displays output from yum in a GTK textview.

In the future i will try to integrate better with yum API, to make yumex more future-proff.
I also want to try to get Yumex included in the fedora extra.

Last edited by mit; 22nd April 2005 at 06:10 AM.
Old 5th May 2005, 08:42 PM
Finalzone Offline
Community Manager

I just started to read about python. Fun program to use. I also found a tutorial about python GTK on which Anaconda was built. I hope it will help Mit to built yumex with pythonGTK. AFAIR, the incoming GUI version of yum from Fedora team will be based on Python, right?
Addenum: the UIManager appears be a good method for the future yumex. It uses XML application similar to XUL from Mozilla.

Last edited by Finalzone; 5th May 2005 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Addenum with UIManager

Tags
curious, snapshot, yum23x