a kernel with realtime, inotify and nvidia support?
ok, i've been using fedora core 3 for about a month now, and we're good friends. i used several apps (firefox, thunderbird, gimp, gaim, openoffice and mplayer) on windows anyway, but i'm now installing a lot of free software only avaliable for linux, and some of it is great. the virus killer came is genius.
i'm currently using the synaptic package manager, working well although the default repositories lack quite a few packages.
anyway, i'm come to the conclusion i need to compile myself a custom kernel with the following
- nvidia drivers - so i can play tuxracer etc
- realtime support to run jack (audio server) - (this computer's third purpose is for use as an audio workstation after desktop and server)
- inotify - for beagle (gnome search tool)
can anyone give me help on how to do this?
i believe the basic steps are
1) download kernel sauces 2.6.10
2) download and apply patches
3) build kernel, copy to boot and configure bootloader
unsure about steps 2 and 3 especially