Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 31st March 2005, 02:46 AM
Mattio Offline

Post Python

I'm a trying to install python in fedora core 3, and it instal all well. Just one little query:
How do I get into IDLE (Integrated DeveLopement Environment)?

ALSO:
I'm a newbie and I'm sort of lost when it comes to classes in python, so any help or tutorials would be greatly appreciated!!! Also, feel free to post some of your own python programs here
Thanks.....

P.S. I use windows 98 for my python programming, and I disable the networking subprocess by typing [DRIVE:]\[Python Directory]\Lib\idlelib\idle.pyw -n

That way I can use python with no connection of the internet!!!
Old 31st March 2005, 08:16 AM
radu5er Offline

I don't think there is an IDLE mode under linux but I could be wrong...I'm just a Python beginner myself ( a snakette?).

I have found LOTS of useful documentation and tutorials for beginners by googling. If you would like to PM me with your email address I'd be happy to send my collection to you. Or do a search for a text called 'How To Think Like A Computer Scientist". It's Python based and is a good text for new programmers.

I guess the best, sure fire way of preventing internet access is to physically disconnect the internet line to your computer. But just going into System Settings>Network and deactivating your interface should do the trick as well.
Old 31st March 2005, 02:21 PM
meyeet Offline

The best resource available is www.python.org

I do all my python programming just using vi. There are some good ide's for python available on the python website here: http://www.python.org/moin/PythonEditors

Some good tutorials there as well.
Old 1st April 2005, 12:12 AM
Bob D. Offline

Quote:
How do I get into IDLE (Integrated DeveLopement Environment)?
All you need to do is to open a terminal window. In that window, just type "idle".

That's it!

Bob
Old 11th July 2005, 12:46 AM
Mattio Offline

Sorry Bob, but typing in "idle" will not work for me.......:S

Oh, and by the way, does anyone know how on earth I can create a python program to make changes in the windows registry (edit, delete, create, change and move keys?) Do I need a special module? Does python even support editing the windows registry??? Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Tags
python