Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 18th March 2004, 03:41 PM
gatep5 Offline

Kernel Preemption Not Default...

How come kernel preemption is not turned on by default in the 2.6 builds for FC 2 test 1? Well, maybe I am assuming too much because when I make xconfig from the source file it is not on by default. Anyway, I thought that that was supposed to be one of "the key features" of the new kernel.

Also, there is still the problem with the USB KVM switches that has yet to be resolved. Switching off and then back to my linux computer make the mouse and keyboard stop functioning. I guess that this is more of a kernel development thing, but I was wondering if anyone has any sugguestions?

I think that test 2 should be put out on a live-eval CD just like Suse 9.1 so I can try it before I update my system with the new packages.

Anyway, that is just my little rant. Otherwise, things are great and I love fedora!!!!
Old 18th March 2004, 08:35 PM
Prometheus Offline

try posting the KVM thing on bugzilla, theyll know more about it that us and theyre really the place to report bugs
Registered Linux User #371104

Become a Registered Linux User Here
Old 19th March 2004, 05:54 AM
Bana Offline
Retired Community Manager

I don't think that that config is the same one that was used in building the rpm kernel, that is just the default (I believe), I am not sure as to the status of preemptibility though, I hope it is enabled.
Old 2nd April 2004, 08:58 PM
jgeorgeson Offline

The config you get from installing the kernel-source package is a generic one with lots of stuff missing. Look in /usr/src/linux-2.6/configs for the config files to build the RH packaged kernels. Just cp the appropriate one to /usr/src/linux-2.6/.config and then run 'make oldconfig' to apply it.

Tags
default, kernel, preemption