Ive been trying on and off for 2 days to get public keys in fedora working.
My plan is to access my fedora box from windows with putty or the ssh.com client
The error message putty gives is "Server refused our key", when running sshd in debug mode it doesnt say anthing about bad permissions or anything else so it wasnt really helpful.
so far i have tried:
* settings various permissions of certain folders (followed a few online guides) and in the end set strictmodes to no
* turned off selinux
* tried as a root or non root user
* i know my process for converting the private key to putty's format works because it worked when i did on on my slack box
* ~/.ssh/authorized_keys contains the output from putty's conversion process
and my sshd_config allows practically everything now (pub keys, rsa, root login, etc)
* i have read the response in this thread http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42033
Please if anyone who uses public key authentication in fedora could you post your sshd_config file or outline how you got it to work, Thanks.