Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 11th March 2005, 06:55 AM
ewdere Offline

Wireless quits after inactivity

Hello, I'm new to the Fedora Forums and really to the whole Linux experience as a whole. However, I'm fairly good at following explicit instructions =)

I'm using a Dell Latitude D800 laptop and have configured my wireless card (ipw2200 stuff, etc.) over and over with each kernel update, and have started recently having problems with my wirless connection. First, I was unable to resolve DNS entries because my network card seemed to only want to get DNS info from the DSL router -- I managed to fix that problem by forcing it get DNS information from the DNS servers my ISP provides. However, then a second problem arose (I'm not sure if the two are related, but I thought I'd mention it) -- after about a minute or two of me not actively using an internet connection, my wireless stops working. I try to restart the network services, but I get "failed to set bitrate" error (or something to the like. Can anyone help me resolve this issue? I really don't want to have to run instant messaging in th background just to keep my internet active, nor restart my machine every 5 minutes to bring it back to life. Thanks all! Please let me know if you need me to post more information.
Old 5th July 2005, 01:54 PM
JFreak Offline

I have a simular problem. I finally got my wireless connection to work yesterday. But when I surf around I am unable to do any DNS lookups after a few minutes. I have to restart my wireless card to get to work for another 5 minutes.
I can't see anything wrong with the connection. I still have an IP adress and are still connected to my accesspoint/router. I just can't access any domains. I can access homepages through their IP adresses.

My wireless is with the RT2500 chipset.

Last edited by JFreak; 5th July 2005 at 01:57 PM.

Tags
inactivity, quits, wireless