Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 11th March 2005, 03:21 AM
sataere Offline

Graphical Error running Toshiba Satellite 1400 with FC3

Whenever I try and watch a movie, it starts out fine but then it will (seemingly) randomly screw up and leave my display with bars of colour. The computer still seems to be running, as I once CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE'd successfully, but it just basically changed the colours of the bars a little bit.

I was running Mandrake 10 during summer with no problems, but I had to switch to windows for a mandatory VB class in September. Now that I've switched back to linux, I decided to go for Fedora Core 3. Absolutely beautiful, except for the movie issue.

The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite 1400. My graphics card is a Cyberblade Ai. I managed to reproduce the error very easily under both Gnome and KDE.

I read of a similar issue elsewhere of a guy who had installed FC3 on his parent's computer in Japan, and it had run well with Mandrake also. He said something about it being an xorg vs xfree86 problem. I'm not entirely sure what to make of this, or how to go about fixing it.

P.S. I've tried xine and totem, and both do the same thing.

Thanks all.

P.P.S. I found out that the problem was in xv. The solution is to use "mplayer -vo=x11"

Last edited by sataere; 12th March 2005 at 06:14 AM. Reason: Fixed the problem

Tags
1400, error, fc3, graphical, running, satellite, toshiba