<---- template headericclude ----->
Do I want a server install or Workstation?
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do I want a server install or Workstation?

I will be running Tomcat 5 and Oracle 10g. I'm not going to be using this machine for actual serving, I just want to learn SQL and JSP (and linux at the same time ugh). It seems like installing a workstation setup would be easier, but do I need to install as a server?

Thanx,
    Keith

elasticwings Guest
    I would do a custom install and select whatever packages you deem necessary. You can always go back and add them later of course.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I neglected to mention that I am a total beginner with Linux. I don't know what packages I need.
    Thanx Keith

Quella Guest
    I agree that a custom way is the right way to go, if you know the given packages you need. If you are not sure, and you have enough HD space, I would do an EVERYTHING install.

Quella

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by elasticwings
    I would do a custom install and select whatever packages you deem necessary. You can always go back and add them later of course.
    I think whatever install you go for, you get to choose to customise the choices before the install actually begins.
    I think a simple server install does not have a GUI front end, which may not be that nice if your new to Linux, or command lines.

If your not actually serving from that machine, I think I would just go for a customised workstation install, that way you have a system you can use for everyday computing, like browsing the web, checking your email, playing games perhaps, or using open office.

Yes you can choose a custom server install, but like you said your new to linux, so a custom workstation install (in my opinion) is your best bet.

Choose workstation, it will choose the most commonly used apps etc, then you can add the extra packages that you specifically want.

Dave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did a custom install and chose everyting. Maybe more convenient in the future? 40gb should be enough space right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes 40GB will be enough space.

More convenient for the future:

I think so, there will be a lot that you don't ever get round to even seeing let alone using, but if your new to linux, you will have a lot of toys to play with whilst your getting used to it.

Dave