Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 5th March 2005, 01:08 PM
umala Offline

open office 2.0 beta

Hi!

I have searched Google and this forum and it seems there is no clear answer for my problem. I try to install Open Office 2.0 as it is said to be as good as Office XP. But all the download bring me RPM file. It install all core files with rpm -ivh command and then instal cal package. It was all OK. But now, how and where can i start spreadsheet program. I can not LOCATE it anywhere.

Regards
Old 5th March 2005, 01:47 PM
ucfagls Offline

Code:
whereis scalc
in a shell should tell you where the spreadsheet programme is. Looking at that calc rpm from the Openoffice downloads page, it is in /opt/openoffice.org1.9.79/program/. You should be able to start it by typing
Code:
/opt/openoffice.org1.9.79/program/scalc &
But why do you want to install beta software? Would you not be better off installing the latest stable version and update once OO.org 2 is released? If you want to use the current stable release, remove those rpm's you installed, and then try
Code:
yum list Openoffice*
Is openoffice in the list of installed packages? If it isn't installed it should be listed in the available packages. If yes, then in the panel, open the menu (red fedora) and go to the office entry. In there you'll find the installed applications. If it isn't installed, open a shell/terminal and type
Code:
su -c "yum install Openoffice.org"
Enter your root/admin password and once yum has installed the required packages you should be able to find the software in the place I indicated above.
Old 5th March 2005, 02:26 PM
umala Offline

["QUOTE=ucfagls]
Code:
whereis scalc
"

I just see this: [qto@localhost ~]$ whereis scal
scal:
What does it mean. IT did not give the location.

" in a shell should tell you where the spreadsheet programme is. Looking at that calc rpm from the Openoffice downloads page, it is in /opt/openoffice.org1.9.79/program/. "

Where in the web site you have this info.

"You should be able to start it by typing
Code:
"

It works. Great.

"But why do you want to install beta software? Would you not be better off installing the latest stable version and update once OO.org 2 is released? I"

I am new to Linux and just try to use. BTW, is it true that the beta version is released so that people use and report bugs.
Old 5th March 2005, 02:39 PM
mbokil Offline

OO 2.0 beta rocks!

Go ahead and install Open Office 2.0 beta. It works great for the most part. It looks awesome with nice GTK2 widgets drawing correctly. It also launches a lot faster. I didn't bother using yum. I just downloaded the RPM's and then ran 'rpm -ivh *.rpm in the open office folder after downloading. The final Open Office 2.0 will be amazing. This is the first version where I can see people using it that are comfortable with MS Office and not running into problems at all. Thank you open source developers!
Nvidia Gforce 6200
Mozilla Seamonkey 1.1.9 browser with MonkeyMenu Extension
Old 5th March 2005, 02:43 PM
ucfagls Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by umala
...I just see this: [qto@localhost ~]$ whereis scal
scal:
What does it mean. IT did not give the location.
That's your typo the program is called scalc not scal. If the named program isn't installed then it returns no location.
Quote:
" in a shell should tell you where the spreadsheet programme is. Looking at that calc rpm from the Openoffice downloads page, it is in /opt/openoffice.org1.9.79/program/. "
Where in the web site you have this info.
I looked in the rpm itself like this:
Code:
rpm -qlp openofficeorg-calc-1.9.79-1.i586.rpm
which lists all the files in that rpm and where they will be installed to.
Quote:
"You should be able to start it by typing
Code:
" It works. Great.
Good to hear!
Quote:
"But why do you want to install beta software? Would you not be better off installing the latest stable version and update once OO.org 2 is released? I"

I am new to Linux and just try to use
Well if you're new to Linux I would recommend not using beta software at first. Beta software is for testing, to find bugs etc before the final release is made. So bugs are likely to be present and you could loose work, data etc if something goes a bit wrong. You probably aren't going to get a favourable impression of Linux and open source software if you keep using buggy betas that keep seg faulting on you.
Quote:
BTW, is it true that the beta version is released so that people use and report bugs.
Yes - that's one way that you can help the development of open source software. I beta test certain software apps that I am very familiar with to see if they compile or work on Fedora and my computing hardware and feedback my experiences to the developers.
Old 5th March 2005, 04:50 PM
umala Offline

[qto@localhost ~]$ whereis scalc
scalc:

how about this.
Old 5th March 2005, 05:06 PM
ucfagls Offline

whereis only looks in standard places for binaries, man files and sources. /opt isn't usually used for installing software in Fedora, which is probably why it doesn't work. Try:
Code:
whereis -B /opt/openoffice.org1.9.79/program scalc
But that rather defeats the point really If you want to find out where scalc is then:
Code:
su -c "find / -name scalc"
should get it.
Old 5th March 2005, 05:12 PM
umala Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfagls
whereis only looks in standard places for binaries, man files and sources. /opt isn't usually used for installing software in Fedora, which is probably why it doesn't work. Try:[COD satisfied aE]whereis -B /opt/openoffice.org1.9.79/program scalc[/CODE] But that rather defeats the point really If you want to find out where scalc is then:
Code:
su -c "find / -name scalc"
should get it.
IN fact I want to ask you one question about the command to run Office. YOu did not seem to give me a satisfied answer. However, I did not as that question seems to be quite newbie that I should research myself. BUt now you refer that.

THe folder openoffice 1.9.79 is OK. I can see from the rpm file. BUt why you know it is install in opt so that you type/opt/op..... to run.
Usually, it is in bin or sbin.
Old 5th March 2005, 05:13 PM
crackers Offline
Retired Community Manager

The new version uses a single binary "launcher" program now - this is what's in my menu entry for the Calc program: openoffice.org-1.9 -calc %U
Linux User #28251 (April '93)
Professional Java Geek :cool:
Old 5th March 2005, 05:31 PM
ucfagls Offline

Quote:
THe folder openoffice 1.9.79 is OK. I can see from the rpm file. BUt why you know it is install in opt so that you type/opt/op..... to run.
cd to the directory where the rpms for openoffice are (where you downloaded the files to). There should be an rpm named openofficeorg-calc-1.9.79-1.i586.rpm for calc. I then used the rpm command to list the files in the rpm and I looked for the scalc programme in there. This will list all the files in that rpm with scalc in the path or name:
Code:
rpm -qlp openofficeorg-calc-1.9.79-1.i586.rpm | grep scalc
So that told me where the files were installed. If I was to start looking for a program on my machine I would probably start with the find command, like I posted earlier.
Quote:
Usually, it is in bin or sbin.
That's because the people who make Fedora packages will set it to install in the standard place and put the binary in /usr/bin as expected. But to have things work nicely with your distribution you need to wait for the Fedora developers/packagers to release the package for fedora or alter things yourself. The OpenOffice.org guys can't produce sets of rpms for each distribution as they all do things slightly differently.

As crackers has posted though, the beta is using a new way of starting the applications so you should use that.
Old 6th March 2005, 05:36 AM
Seve Offline
Retired Community Manager

Quote:
Hi!

I have searched Google and this forum and it seems there is no clear answer for my problem. I try to install Open Office 2.0 as it is said to be as good as Office XP. But all the download bring me RPM file. It install all core files with rpm -ivh command and then instal cal package. It was all OK. But now, how and where can i start spreadsheet program. I can not LOCATE it anywhere.

Regards

Hi:

If you follow the instructions posted here http://download.openoffice.org/2.0be...ons.html#linux

"Linux RPM-based Installation

Prerequisites

If you want Java integration, you want to make sure you have the latest JRE installed. It should be at least JRE 1.4. You can find the JRE for Linux at the Java JRE for Linux download site. Alternatively, it might be included on the installation media of your distro as part of a complete Java development environment.

Installation Steps

1. Unpack the downloaded image into a directory. For example,Currently, the following command would unpack into the current directory:

tar xvzf Ooo_1.9.m79_native_LinuxIntel_install.tar.gz
2. Su to root, if necessary.
3. cd into the directory with the unpacked image. This could be RPMS.
4. Delete any rpm filess that do not apply to your system. For example, on a Fedora Core 3 system, delete any rpms specific to another distribution such as openofficeorg-suse-menus-1.9.79-1.noarch.rpm.
5. Then execute rpm -Uvih *rpm. "

The installation should have installed menu items under Applications/Office/OpenOfficeorg 1.9 Calc etc.

....... at least it did when I installed it with a Gnome desktop. I have OO 1.1.3 installed as well. The only RPM I removed from the RPMS folder was openofficeorg-suse-menus-1.9.79-1.noarch.rpm

And mbokil is correct "OO 2.0 beta rocks!"

Seve
Old 27th April 2005, 03:44 PM
Pedaflex Offline

Much useful information in this thread. Thanks.

Now, I have installed OpenOffice.org 2 Beta. And have no problems with it, except... I forgot to download the correct language version. How do I uninstall? I have browsed trough the /opt/openofetc... directory but wasn't able to locate an installer/uninstaller. Can I just delete the directory or is that a no-no?
Old 27th April 2005, 07:01 PM
Pedaflex Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaflex
Much useful information in this thread. Thanks.

Now, I have installed OpenOffice.org 2 Beta. And have no problems with it, except... I forgot to download the correct language version. How do I uninstall? I have browsed trough the /opt/openofetc... directory but wasn't able to locate an installer/uninstaller. Can I just delete the directory or is that a no-no?
Okay, I figured it out myself. And after having discovered what 'rpm -e' is all about, I yet again feel a little less newbieish

Tags
beta, office, open