Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 4th March 2005, 01:19 AM
matrixtna Offline

Fedora Core 3 and Linux Literature

when i first got xp, i bought books to tech my self the basic and advanced and REAlly advanced arts of the OS

now since im going to start using linux, what are some good books in general for learning how to use the command line and linux

and wht are good books for learning Fedora Core 3 (especially networking with other windows PCs)

Thanks

Matrixtna
Old 4th March 2005, 06:01 AM
jayemef Offline

For general information, its hard to beat the RedHat Linux Bible.
For a quick reference, check out O'Reilly's Linux Pocket Guide.
And for a nice samba reference, check out Samba-3 By Example.

There are tons of other great books out there, but I've found these particularly helpful. I would suggest checking both http://www.linux.org/ and http://books.slashdot.org/ for book references as well.
Registered Linux User #371168

+Fedora Core 3 - k2.6.10-1.766_FC3
+WindowMaker 0.91.0

Last edited by jayemef; 4th March 2005 at 06:03 AM.
Old 9th March 2005, 07:36 AM
imdeemvp Offline

What about a great book that can be use will almost any distro? Uhh that would be the "Linux Cook Book" which you can get at amazon or half.com

Easiest and most friendly desktop ever is PCLinuxOS! Includes all this apps. Just try it.

"The greater the struggle THE greater the achievment."

Do you know HIM?

If you are an idiot click here. NThis will test you linux skills :D
Old 11th March 2005, 10:25 PM
Seandq Offline

I really love Fedora Core 3 For Dummies, but don't get too distro-specific. When I went to Ubuntu, that book was about to meet the trash.
Old 11th March 2005, 11:20 PM
sej7278 Offline

there's actually a fc3 specific book - wow, that thing will have a shelf-life of about 6 months! i'd have though a rhel3 book would be better.

personally i've always stuck to usenet, forums, faqs, manpages, howtos and wikis.

books just get out-of-date too quickly, especially with a development os like fedora.
Old 15th March 2005, 12:36 AM
marko Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by sej7278
there's actually a fc3 specific book - wow, that thing will have a shelf-life of about 6 months! i'd have though a rhel3 book would be better.

personally i've always stuck to usenet, forums, faqs, manpages, howtos and wikis.

books just get out-of-date too quickly, especially with a development os like fedora.
There are quite a few RHE3/Fedora combo books out there too.

Mark