Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 2nd March 2005, 07:48 PM
ttuee2006 Offline

Question Canon Printer anyone???

I have a Canon i560 printer that I use with my Windows PC that I would LOVE to hook up to the FC3 server I have been working on and just use it through the network. I know Canon support is limited at best, but does anyone know of a way to get it to work, or of some places I can try to ask other people? I have an old POS Epson hooked up to it right now, and I would like to use the Canon instead if at all possible.

As always, any help is much appreciated.
Old 2nd March 2005, 07:59 PM
Flo Offline

Hi,

there is no "real" printing-driver for linux because your printer does not support any psotscript. BUT there is a commercial product which provides the needed drivers called turboprint (just google). Well, this may cost some money but it works. I don't know of any other solution.
Good luck
Old 2nd March 2005, 08:04 PM
imdeemvp Offline

I have a cannon bjc3000 that works since fc1 to fc3 and also in mandrake. You also need samba to share your printer and if you have a router this may help you.

Easiest and most friendly desktop ever is PCLinuxOS! Includes all this apps. Just try it.

"The greater the struggle THE greater the achievment."

Do you know HIM?

If you are an idiot click here. NThis will test you linux skills :D
Old 2nd March 2005, 08:12 PM
Flo Offline

Well, the problem is canon and canon printers since they need special "drivers" because they do not comply to a standard which makes it hard to write any driver. If your canon printer works - great and you have been lucky that someone actually wrote the needed stuff.
imdeemvd is right, you still need a working samba to share your printer.
Old 3rd March 2005, 05:03 PM
prairiehobo Offline

Cannon i560

I was trying to get an mp390 cannon setup and a gentleman named ed wilts directed me to the turbo print drivers they are a comercial set and available in a test only free demo that puts thier logo on everything you print but to purchase them i think was like $40. and the i 560 is listed in their hardware list. they worked quite well for my friend.
Old 5th March 2005, 05:18 PM
bigfootnmd Offline

Yes, we all know that the majority of the Hardware manufacturers are living in a world in which they all wear rose colored glasses. In this dream world there is only Windows. However, there is hope for you.

I have a Canon i850 printer. When I first started using Fedora I too went on a quest for a drive and I found it. The answer is Turboprint.

http://www.turboprint.de/english.html

Turboprint is a printer driver system for Linux that supports many Brother, Canon, Epson and HP printers. The cost is around fourty US dollars.
I have been using Turboprint for over a year. You can download a free demo copy to see how it works with your printer. If you like it and you want to get full use you will need to buy a license key. I have noticed one problem with
Turboprint after some of the most recent Kernal updates. The turboprint driver does not always get loaded after Fedora core 3 boots and the desktop comes up. Sometimes I have to run the xtpsetup program (as root from a terminal window) to start the driver. However, this is a minor inconveince.

I hope this helps you.
Old 17th June 2006, 08:31 AM
sepman Offline

Canon MP 390 prints ok with bjc 800 driver in fc5
Old 17th June 2006, 12:16 PM
Paul_Vandenberg Offline

I can also testify to TurboPrint. Works great on with Canon PIXMA iP2000. Have used it with CentOS 4, FC4, FC5 and Ubuntu.
Old 17th June 2006, 05:13 PM
psyklops Offline

I have a Canon i965 and I've been trialing the turboprint drivers and they seem to work very well for what I need at the moment.

Has anyone got CD label printing yet? I saw some links using Gimp and a template to print on the CD but haven't tried it yet. The bundled windows app is called "CD Label Print" from Canon.
Old 18th June 2006, 05:20 PM
Brian1 Offline

There are a few. Only ones on the top of my head. There are others.
Glabels
KCDlabels

Brian1

Tags
canon, printer