Originally Posted by s10237
Since I have been using linux I no longer use a firewall nor antivirus. Is there any reason to use an antivirus on linux? Anybody have any firewall suggestions?
That is a very dangerous way to look at it, just because you are using linux doesn't mean your secure.
While over 70% of attacks happen internally you have to look at the other 30%, these happen due to bad configuration of firewalls, routers, installation of unnecessary services or software applications, unnecessary users etc.
At my place of work we have very strick guidelines on building PCs or servers, we firstly identify its use and what is necessary i.e. the software, we then block all unnnecessary traffic either by a "host-based" firewall or TCP/IP filtering (Windows), we strip all user accounts that are unnecessary and disable accounts we want to log such as guest, we never allow "direct root" login and have very strick policies on when a admin account is used.
There are plenty of firewall products out there look at firewall builder as you can start from scratch, and look at utilities such as ClamAV for Antivirus software