Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream The place for you to submit reviews of all those applications you use with Fedora. The Devs probably aren't listening, but some times you've just GOT to blow off steam or sing its praises.

View Poll Results: What are your thoughts on Skype?
I haven't tried it 8 38.10%
I think it is very good 12 57.14%
I don't like proprietry applications 4 19.05%
I use Gnome Meeting 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23rd February 2005, 10:59 AM
ghenry Offline
Retired Community Manager

Thumbs up Skype - Internet Telephony.

Dear all,

Yesterday, I was introduced to the world of VoIP via Skype (http://www.skype.com) and I must say, I am very, very impressed.

A bit about Skype:

"Skype is free Internet telephony
that just works.

Skype is for calling other people on their computers or phones. Download Skype and start calling for free all over the world."

Yes, it's free to call someone else who has Skype running. The voice quality is unbelievable. I am using the skype-1.0.0.7-fc3.i586.rpm for FC3 and I am running it on a PII600 desktop, AMD 2000+ dekstop and a PIII600 laptop.

All you need is a headset or some kind of microphone/speakers and a 3.3k dial-up, yes dial-up. I monitored my broadband connection, and the bandwidth never went above 3.3k/s during a 20min free call.

It is available for all platforms:

http://www.skype.com/products/skype/linux/

Here are some Linux screenshots from their site:

http://www.skype.com/products/screenshots.html?os=linux

Mine are attached.

There are two things that I think are lacking:

1. Although you call call land lines for only 1.1p/cents (via SkypeOout - http://www.skype.com/products/skypeout/rates/) per minute, you can't create conference calls like you can between other Sykpe members.
2. You can't be called from a land line.

That's not to say they are not working on these features now.

Assessment on the installation out of 5: 5 (Just install the RPM)
Assessment of the ease of use out of 5: 5 (My Grandad uses it ;-) )
Assessment of the features out of 5: 4 (see above)
Assessment on the quality of the program out of 5: 5 (I haven't found any bugs yet)
An overall assessment out of 10: 9.5

I know it's a commercial app, but the only GPL/OSS version I know of is Gnome Meeting, and I haven't tested it yet.

Would someone like to review it?

Gavin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Skype-conf.png
Views:	260
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	4438   Click image for larger version

Name:	Skype-dail.png
Views:	252
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	4439   Click image for larger version

Name:	Skype-download.png
Views:	219
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	4440   Click image for larger version

Name:	Skype.png
Views:	249
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	4441  
Old 23rd February 2005, 12:22 PM
OberonKenObi Offline

Hi yas all

I use software called Teamspeak 2
There is Linux Client and Server (RC2) version: 2.0.32.60. AND
Windows Client and Server (RC2) version: 2.0.32.60. Not sure of Mac sorry

To download it go to Team Speak

I have used both Win32 and Linux versions, there is a Features
page.
Differences between it and Skype. And this by no means exhaustive.

Negative ones...
Can't call a landline.
Can't be called by a land line.
You need to either host one yourself (this easy to do in either platform), or have access to a Clan server.

Positive ones...
Free for personal use.
License encompasses free Clan self served servers to massive hosted servers attracting a fee for customers. See Pricing for more info.
Access to many different codecs, (I have 56k dial up and can host 3 clients and still have resonable quality). If I had more friends I could test if more works!! Just Kidding, 4 or more degrades quality (at 56k at least). I have been online with 11 people at a time on our shared server that uses 512kb ADSL, great connectivity, you can have seperate channels, passwords to protect access and admins can boot/block those that fail to follow the simple rules that you formulate (see features above).

Ease of use
Many many help pages and a Forum for problems.
Since I cant get my parents to use Linux, (any version!!) the fact that it is not Microsoft shows that even the little "non Microsoft or proprietry movement" is still making great software. There is hope yet...

Regards
Allan
Old 23rd February 2005, 06:15 PM
micha Offline

I use Skype for "regular" phone calls, and TeamSpeak while playing games with friends.
Skype has an excellent sound quality, a very low latency, communications are encrypted and it works through NATs and firewalls. But don't forget it's a P2P application, so your computer is used as a node for the Skype network...
TeamSpeak has a variable sound quality, a higher latency, and several channels. Just excellent for gaming !

Last edited by micha; 24th February 2005 at 11:46 AM.
Old 24th February 2005, 12:35 AM
Dog-One Offline

I have to agree with micha. Teamspeak is really THE "push-to-talk" voice application for Linux and Windows. Just plain works for that.

Skype, I'm not sure about. Seems really polished, but I have reservations about signing up for an account although there is no other way to connect to other skype users that I'm aware of. The limit of four people in a conference call puts a damper on its usage too.
Refresh yourself with the Posting Guidelines........Frequently Asked Questions........Registered Linux User #369513
Old 24th February 2005, 04:47 AM
james_in_denver Offline

Well, the account you sign up for is free, as long as it is "Skype" to "Skype" usage, for RBOC/POTS calls, some of them are subject to prepaid billing rates.

I haven't looked into their rate structure in any detail. (guess I will have to add that to my list of "Interesting Linux Things to Look at").

Though for computer to computer calling, it's free and seems pretty complete.

Hmmm, what did I miss?
Old 24th February 2005, 02:00 PM
Dog-One Offline

I went searching for ghenry online with Skype, but couldn't find him. I'm a little surprised it didn't even have Scotland listed as a country. I need to connect to someone and see about the voice quality and bandwidth usage before I can comment on that.

Another feature I may have missed that would be real handy is simple voicemail. I would think you should be able to call someone and leave a message should they not answer in a reasonable amount of time. If it's there, I sure didn't see it.

I can see a real use for it in a business environment where everyone has Pocket PCs equipped with wireless Internet. You could do a lot with just one piece of hardware in your pocket while on the road.
Refresh yourself with the Posting Guidelines........Frequently Asked Questions........Registered Linux User #369513
Old 24th February 2005, 04:27 PM
BandC Offline

I used Skype in Win and I have to say that sound quality is much better than any other voice chat program I used so far.

Do you like surfing forums but wish people would stop using obscure abbreviations and acronyms?
Then my Firefox/Chrome extension ABBREX is for you!
It automatically adds hover tooltips to abbreviations displaying their meanings on any web page you visit!

Check it out at: http://abbrex.com
Old 24th February 2005, 04:50 PM
ghenry Offline
Retired Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog-One
I went searching for ghenry online with Skype, but couldn't find him. I'm a little surprised it didn't even have Scotland listed as a country. I need to connect to someone and see about the voice quality and bandwidth usage before I can comment on that.

Another feature I may have missed that would be real handy is simple voicemail. I would think you should be able to call someone and leave a message should they not answer in a reasonable amount of time. If it's there, I sure didn't see it.

I can see a real use for it in a business environment where everyone has Pocket PCs equipped with wireless Internet. You could do a lot with just one piece of hardware in your pocket while on the road.
It's gchenry, but you should have found me if you searched for Gavin Henry.

I'll be online in around 3 hours.
Old 26th February 2005, 07:59 PM
tiberiu Offline

Come on! The sound quality is good indeed.
You can not have from the beginning a perfect soft with lot of helpfull features but anyway it's a start and especially a free one .

I use Firestarter and I was interested to see how will firewall react... It seems that firestarter stopped a lot of "outgoing ip's on different ports" and I don't like this things... I think what micha said is very right (the computer becomes a node in Skype network). The same thing happens when I use Valknut.

Best regards,