I'm trying to install FC3 on this:
Athlon XP 2800+
Asus A7V8X-X mainboard with VIA VT8273 SATA controller
2x Maxtor SATAs, 80GB each
2x old IDE disks, 20GB each
I've installed FC3 on the SATA disks -
- 100MB /boot partition /dev/sda1 on one SATA with GRUB on that disk's MBR, BIOS set to boot from SATA
- some swap on both disks
- Software RAID /, /var and /home partitions, all ext3, on md0, md1 & md2 spanning both SATAs
FC3 install went fine - used Disk Druid to set up the partitions and RAID devices, formatted, installed, completed ok. But now, when I boot, I get GRUB ok, I get the kernel booting up and some kernel modules (including sata_via) loaded and md devices all set up, then boot just stops without any error messages. It's still responding - if I hit Ctrl+Alt+Del then I get some messages saying "md: stopping devices" etc., then reboot. I really can't figure this one out.
After a failed boot, I can boot into rescue mode and see AND access all of my md devices. I can also use rescue mode to check the output of dmesg from the failed boot, all of which is in the post below...
By the way, /dev/hda has FC3 installed on it too - that's where I am now - and that's where swap is added from in the last message above. This installation boots ok when the SATA disks are unplugged, but hangs similarly when the SATAs are plugged in. /dev/hdb is a backup disk, FAT32 formatted for transferring files from windows (I'm migrating). These disks aren't the problem - same thing happens when I unplug them.
My GRUB entry is standard:
title(Fedora Core 2.6.9-1.667)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=/dev/md0 rhgb
initrd /initrd-2.6.9-1.667.img
Does anyone have any ideas as to what's stopping my system from booting fully? I'm completely new to Linux (but I know my way around a UNIX shell).
Thanks in advance (for any help whatsoever!)


Reply With Quote
