Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 12th February 2004, 04:48 AM
mhelios Offline
Retired Community Manager

Arrow Fedora Core 2 and SELinux

Here's an informative article discussing SELinux and its integration into FC2.
http://lwn.net/Articles/66185/

This is a step in the right direction. It means security is not seen as an after thought or add-on but as an integral part of the development architecture.
There's still plenty more to be done, but things are looking good, and I congratulate Red Hat on taking the right steps forward.
Old 12th February 2004, 10:57 AM
Ug Offline

This SELinux integration is definately quite exciting, and I think if pulled off properly in the Red Hat Enterprise release after the Fedora Core's then it will definately lead to an even greater uptake of Red Hat for servers. Which can only be seen as a good thing.

Linux, and Red Hat in particular has always been thought of as secure in comparison to that of Windows, but the integration of SELinux throughout the system will certainly reinforce this view. After all linux machines are much less susceptible to the worms and trojans which plague windows machines so frequently.

Please adhere to the FedoraForum Guidelines.
Old 12th February 2004, 12:00 PM
mhelios Offline

It's also a great thing because it's showing the world they aren't afraid to step up and try new technologies - that's one of the reasons I like The Fedora Project so much - it puts the great shows of interesting and dynamic technologies on display a loong time before most distros would dare to have it anywhere but in development.

Another example is the 2.6 kernel series. It seems Fedora Core 2 will be the first distro to include it. (Don't quote me on that though!)

This in turn speeds up the development cycle, so improvements are seen quicker and more efficiently.
Old 12th February 2004, 01:22 PM
Ug Offline

But then the point of fedora afterall is to be the testing ground for the Red hat enterprise editions so its not at all suprising really if you think about it.

Please adhere to the FedoraForum Guidelines.
Old 12th February 2004, 03:32 PM
mhelios Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ug_the_caveman
But then the point of fedora afterall is to be the testing ground for the Red hat enterprise editions so its not at all suprising really if you think about it.
Exactly. But I see this as A Good Thing TM.

This in turn doesn't mean the OS is so bleeding edge that people will have no reason to use it as there main desktop -- after all that's the point of having multiple test releases beforehand.

Fedora with all its innovations is stable enough for general use and with resources such as this site , mailing lists etc, problems can be identified and fixed as quickly as possible.
Closed Thread