Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Using Fedora
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Using Fedora General support for current versions. Ask questions about Fedora and it's software that do not belong in any other forum.

Old 21st February 2005, 09:19 PM
tallpaul Offline

Angry newbie with problems loging in to fedora using Microsoft Virtual PC

I have installed Fedora on my laptop using Microsoft Virtual PC.

Installation fine, i rebooted and linux boats up on probs.

It then asks me to login (i assume that this is root), however, an error apears after i type root and then press return

the error is:

INIT id "1" respawning too fast disabled for 5 minutes.

Sometimes this is id "6"

Any help would be great, this is the first time with linux for me and its not a good start.

hanks
Old 15th March 2005, 04:55 PM
BoneDaddy13 Offline

Talking

I'm having the same issue, but I don't think we're alone. I found this after searching a bit:

http://vpc.visualwin.com/Notes/FedoraCore.3.Final.html

It's a new little workaround for getting FC3 to work with Virtual PC. I'm in the process of downloading the rescue disk, then I'll let you know how it goes.

As far as using Fedora, I think it's the best distro for n00bs, even if it tends to be a little difficult to install. But, it seems to work good once it's going and the auto updater from RH is the best out there by far. Don't give up! Try getting the FC3 Bible on Amazon for a good reference. It's well worth the $33!

Last edited by BoneDaddy13; 15th March 2005 at 04:58 PM.
Old 15th March 2005, 05:29 PM
BoneDaddy13 Offline

Thumbs up

Holy crizap! This guide works GREAT!! I following the instructions and had FC3 running fine in a matter of minutes. I hope this helps!
Old 17th March 2005, 04:03 PM
tallpaul Offline

Thanks

thanks i got really exicited when you posted to my thred.

It worked fine untill i got right to the end. Done all the installation tasks, then the screen when gree and yellow strips

I think this might be the graphics card. Could you confirm or tell me how to get fedora core3 becuase it seems that the operating system thinks it is 2.9.6

this is the first disc title: FC3-i386-disc1.iso

thanks again

Oh well
Old 21st March 2005, 08:18 PM
BoneDaddy13 Offline

you probably downloaded FC3 Test 3. Just go back and get the FC3 files, last modified in November 2004 I think. That should be the last version available. The yellow and green lines are definitely something graphics card related. So far, all is good for me here. Up2date doesn't work, but yum does, so it's all good!
Old 22nd March 2005, 08:30 PM
daojman7 Offline

having problems with rpm

I've tried to follow the instructions to install the vpc kernal but have had no luck. I try to connect to the site to download the zip and get an error that the host isn't found. I try to use the smbclient and get file not found. I've tried to put the zip in a .iso and then mount it and can't find it... I'm definatly a newbie so anything would be great... If you can tell me where I can mount the .iso from I may be good, or if you can give me tips on getting the networking to work.

When I followed the instructions on the install I was never able to find a page to select the network options for DCHP or whatever

Thanks...
Old 23rd March 2005, 10:52 PM
BoneDaddy13 Offline

I will see what I can find when I get home. Worst case, I'll host it for you to download. Hit me up on IM later if you still can't get it.

BTW, once I had this working, I used yum to update the whole system, including the kernel. I was worried about it, but everything went smooth and I'm booting into the new kernel via VPC with no issues.

Tags
fedora, loging, microsoft, newbie, problems, virtual