Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 20th February 2005, 03:11 PM
STEVE555 Offline

Thumbs down Yum Srpms

Hi everyone,
I am a regular visitor to this forum and I find it a fantastic resource to all sorts of problems and advice.However,I been trying to download the source-coed for my kernel(2.6.10-1.760_FC3) using yum and up2date.When I try the command "yum install kernel-source" it reports back it hasnothing to do. I also tried "up2date --get-souce kernel" but I feel it doesn't download it correctly,(I see the hash marks move too fast so i'm sure it hasn't downloaded the entire rpm because I know it is 39mb in size).

I have the latest yum.conf in /etc/ from http://fedorafaq.org and would be very grateful if someone can tell me a baseurl to use (e.g livna,redhat,etc) so I can edit my yum.conf and put it in to point it to the source rpms.

Regerds,STEVE555
Old 20th February 2005, 04:35 PM
Evert Offline

for as far as i know, a source code for kernel in FC3 is no longer needed, nor available.

Evert
Old 20th February 2005, 05:11 PM
STEVE555 Offline

Smile

Hi Evert,
I know the source rpm does exsit,I have found it at http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu...dates/3/SRPMS/

The reason why I want it is because I want to use the latest A.T.I. drivers for my graphics card.
I have read the A.T.I. website and it recommends that you must have the kernel source installed.
I have looked at the Livna unstable repository,but they haven't updated their rpms to the latest drivers (I'm not sure when they are going to either).

I could do a "yum install ati-fglrx kernel-module-fglrx-`(uname -r)` " but I know that yum will point to the old ones and I know I will run into problems

I just need some guidance on howto add the SRPMS repo's

Regards,Steve
Old 20th February 2005, 05:55 PM
bob Offline
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
Steve, here's a link to installing it: http://fedoraforum.org/forum/showthr...nstall+src+rpm
Here's also a bunch of different locations for it: http://www.google.com/search?q=2.6.1...en-US:official

I'll contradict my own advice to 100 other people and say that this time, skip Yum and just use the RPM install as described in the link.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.

Tags
srpms, yum