Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 18th February 2005, 11:42 PM
kwarrior Offline

Fedora Core 3 bootup stops after "Enabling Swap Space"

After following the instructions in to install the NVIDIA drivers found here:
Tutorial to install NVIDIA drivers
the bootup stops after enabling swap space. I think it fails to "enter runlevel". What is going wrong? I don't want to have to go back to windows...

Last edited by kwarrior; 18th February 2005 at 11:46 PM.
Old 19th February 2005, 12:37 AM
Harryc Offline

Did the Nvidia driver install sucessfully? Did you edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file? What did you change in it?

Last edited by Harryc; 19th February 2005 at 12:39 AM.
Old 19th February 2005, 06:11 PM
kwarrior Offline

The NVIDIA driver did install sucessfully, and an NVIDIA splash screen appears at bootup. I did edit my xorg.conf file, but I don't think that's the problem. What I changed is:
Quote:
Look for a line that reads "Driver "nv"", or "Driver "vega"". Change it to read "Driver "nvidia"". Now go scroll up until you get to "Section "Module"". Make sure that one of the lines between"Section "Module"" and "EndSection" says "Load "glx"". If the lines "Load "dri"" or "Load "GLcore" are present, then comment them out by placing a # at the begining of the line.
I don't think that I messed up the xorg.conf because I think I messed up /etc/inittab. Isn't that what controls runlevel?

Do you think I should just reinstall fedora?
Old 19th February 2005, 09:01 PM
Harryc Offline

Well, it's going to be tough to do anything unless you can get to a prompt. If it's a relatively new install, and if you won't be missing any important data, I'd say just go ahead and reinstall. You could try a repair, but if it doesn't work, then you've just wasted that much more time. If you need to recover data, that's a different issue.

Last edited by Harryc; 19th February 2005 at 09:08 PM.
Old 19th February 2005, 09:43 PM
Brokenhope Offline

The same thing happens to me at the same place... it just takes like 5 minutes (no exageration) then it finishes loading up... its slow as hell... in your case it may be diffrent but I doubt it...
Old 19th February 2005, 09:59 PM
kwarrior Offline

I think my issue is different because I went to sleep for eight hours, came back, and it was still stuck . I am going to attempt a repair install. If that works I will be estatic.
Old 19th February 2005, 10:57 PM
imdeemvp Offline

Did you do this:
Quote:
a) Type modprobe nvidia.
b) Type cp -a /dev/nvidia* /etc/udev/devices
c) Type chown root.root /etc/udev/devices/nvidia*
d) Type reboot

7) At the Text-Mode Login Screen.

a) Type init 5
in text mode?

Easiest and most friendly desktop ever is PCLinuxOS! Includes all this apps. Just try it.

"The greater the struggle THE greater the achievment."

Do you know HIM?

If you are an idiot click here. NThis will test you linux skills :D
Old 19th February 2005, 11:33 PM
MakeMyDay Offline

I made a configuration change and experienced the dreaded hang at "enabling swap space". By pure chance I stumbled onto the ALT-F8 trick I described here http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=32474
It may give you additional information on why it's hanging.
Old 20th February 2005, 05:08 PM
kwarrior Offline

No, I didn't do that. I guess I probably should have though... How can I fix it? Thank you for your help thusfar.

Also, I tried pressing F8 but it took me to the graphical bootup from the text bootup, what should I do from there?
Old 21st February 2005, 06:15 PM
kwarrior Offline

Could someone please help me fix my problem, or is my only solution a repair or reinstall?
Old 21st February 2005, 06:25 PM
Harryc Offline

You have to get to a command prompt or else you are out of luck. Have you tried rescue mode? Do a forum search on how to do that. Then once you are able to login as root, try imdeep's suggestion. You're going to have to learn how to use a line editor first. Do a google search on 'nano howto'. If you don't want to go thru that, reinstall. The next time that you install nvidia drivers, you'd best do what he suggests before rebooting. Good luck.

Last edited by Harryc; 21st February 2005 at 06:30 PM.
Old 28th April 2005, 10:33 AM
m.ozgur.karahan Offline

The reason is the problems/delays during service start-ups. Select manual start for services, especially kudzu and any other network query service. You may also see the log's to find out which service is problematic. Just to be sure select manual starting for all services as possible.

Tags
bootup, core, enabling swap space, fedora, stops