Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 12th February 2005, 04:02 PM
andy Offline

SCSI drive not detected ?

Hello,

I have a DELL PowerEdge SC1425. The system has the built in of Adaptec U320 SCSI Raid 0 or 1 embedded. I was trying to install the FC 3 on the server but the installation fail indicating there are no hard drive detected during the initial installation I checked on the BIOS and it both the drive is detected.

Can someone guide me on configuring this as this was my first time in setting up SCSI in linux

I was also trying to setup the SCSI as SCSI RAID 1 on the system.

Andy

"If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained, you will also suffer a defeat." ~ Sun Tzu, 'Art of War'

Last edited by andy; 12th February 2005 at 04:07 PM.
Old 13th February 2005, 07:32 AM
andy Offline

finally I have give up FC3 and tried with CentOS 3.4 and the OS is able to detect the hard drive. But my question, how is usually the mirror is setup ? Does it install the OS first then configure the mirror or vice versa ?

I have tried install the OS first and then use the Adaptec bios management tools to build the array by :

1. create a new raid 1 array
>> the server fail to boot totally

2. select the option of raid 1 -- copy from hdd0 to hdd1
>> ok, the data is copied over to hdd1 but when I tried to boot with both drive plugged, during the os loading, it claims / are duplicated ... bla bla error... I tried with each single drive only separately and the OS is booted smoothly. Just only when 2 drive is attached, the error prompt.

Any one have any ideas ?

Thanks,

Andy

"If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained, you will also suffer a defeat." ~ Sun Tzu, 'Art of War'
Old 13th February 2005, 08:53 AM
james_in_denver Offline

Well, that's kind of odd, since centos is just a "repackaged" Fedora release (for the most part).

and you have to use raidtools to set up your raid partitions, you can't just copy the files over to another partition and have an instant raid. You either have to set raid up first, or use raidtools to create/repair/rebuild the array before using it.

Hmmm, what did I miss?
Old 13th February 2005, 09:14 AM
andy Offline

hi james,

thanks.. so does that means that the Adaptec U320 SCSI Raid 0 or 1 is a s/w raid rather than h/w raid ? would u mind walk me through the rough steps in setting up this as I am new in this ... thanks...

Andy

Tags
detected, drive, scsi