Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 4th February 2005, 06:06 AM
XanaduTheory Offline

A Few Questions: A Linux Newcomer

Hello everyone, today moved from Windows XP to Fedora Core 3 and hopefully I will not have much trouble adjusting. I do however a a few questions that perhaps one of the myriads here will answer;

1) How do I move files to Root Protected folders?
- I want to customize Fedora to my asthetic sense by customizing icons and such, however I do not want to liter up my Home Folder. So I want to move my downloaded PNG icons to the /usr/share/pixmaps folder where other icons are stored, however it says I do not have permission to access the folder, it doesn't prompt me to input my root password only gives me the error message. Where can I input my root password for this or in some other way bypass my problem?

2) How can I make folders open within the same window?
- This is something that just annoys me to death. I like to keep my desktop as organized as possible (by the way, the 4 workspaces really are neat for that very reason!) and when I am navigating a CD or the FS I get over four folder windows open. How can I make folders open within the same window? Or rather, how can I open folders Windows style? (So shoot me, one thing I like about Windows, lol)

Well, that should about do it for now. Thanks a whole bunch in advance to anyone who will help me out!
Old 4th February 2005, 06:36 AM
greatscot

Quote:
- I want to customize Fedora to my asthetic sense by customizing icons and such, however I do not want to liter up my Home Folder. So I want to move my downloaded PNG icons to the /usr/share/pixmaps folder where other icons are stored, however it says I do not have permission to access the folder, it doesn't prompt me to input my root password only gives me the error message. Where can I input my root password for this or in some other way bypass my problem?
It's actually best to not move things around in protected directories. Well, what I did was create a few of directories in /home. I have /home/user (my user directory created during the inital install), /home/mp3 (for my mp3 and ogg files), /home/images (for all my pictures), and /home/storage (for backups). The owner of these directories will need to be you. I have the following in a bash script in /home/user/bin which is set up to run as a root cronjob:
Code:
# nightly backups
tar -czf /home/storage/pics_backup.tar.gz /home/images
tar -czf /home/storage/mp3_backup.tar.gz /home/mp3
chown myusername.mygroup /home/storage/pics_backup.tar.gz
chown myusername.mygroup /home/storage/mp3_backup.tar.gz
mv /home/storage/pics_backup.tar.gz /home/storage/`date +%Y%m%d-%k%M`-pics_backup.tar.gz
mv /home/storage/mp3_backup.tar.gz /home/storage/`date +%Y%m%d-%k%M`-mp3_backup.tar.gz
Once a week I go into the /home/storage directory and burn all the .tar.gz files to CD or DVD, depending on the size of all the files. I have a friend who has /home on a seperate hd from the /boot, swap and /root partitions. He says this keeps everything seperate.

Quote:
2) How can I make folders open within the same window?
- This is something that just annoys me to death. I like to keep my desktop as organized as possible (by the way, the 4 workspaces really are neat for that very reason!) and when I am navigating a CD or the FS I get over four folder windows open. How can I make folders open within the same window? Or rather, how can I open folders Windows style? (So shoot me, one thing I like about Windows, lol)
I believe this depends on which file manager you are using. For KDE, open a konq window and select Settings -> Configure Konqueror from the menubar. This will open a configuration dialog. Go to the Behaviour section and you will see, under Misc options, a checkbox that reads "Open folders in seperate windows". If this is checked, uncheck it and click OK at the bottom of that window. In Gnome, you can open the settings dialog from within Nautilus and there is a similar setting in the Behaviour tab.

Quote:
Again, it's actually best to not move things around in protected directories.
If you're using KDE, you can always setup a new KMenu item that reads "root fm" or something similar, and give it the command of: kdesu kfmclient openProfile filemanagement
When you click on it, the system will ask for the root password, and upon success, will open a konq window as root.

Another way of doing this is to create a new servicemenu item from:
Code:
[Desktop Entry]
ServiceTypes=inode/directory,inode/directory-locked
Actions=Openassu

[Desktop Action Openassu]
Name=Open as Root
Icon=kfm
Exec=kdesu "konqueror --profile filemanagement %U"
This will allow you to right-click on any directory and choose Actions -> Open as Root and supply the root password to open that directory as if the root user opened it.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by greatscot; 4th February 2005 at 06:54 AM.
Old 4th February 2005, 06:40 AM
imdeemvp Offline

1. Leave root folders untouched.....if you delete, remove or move a root folder your system may become unstable.

2. Are you talking about having a browser window instead of the spatial windows? if so this is how to turn off spatial.

Easiest and most friendly desktop ever is PCLinuxOS! Includes all this apps. Just try it.

"The greater the struggle THE greater the achievment."

Do you know HIM?

If you are an idiot click here. NThis will test you linux skills :D
Old 4th February 2005, 06:43 AM
Bob D. Offline

Welcome XanaduTheory!

Quote:
How do I move files to Root Protected folders?
While I understand your desire to keep things neat, as one newbie to another, I'd leave this alone for a while until you learn more. Some folders require root access to keep you from killing your installation. While moving icons around is most likely harmless, it just isn't necessary right now. Wait until you learn more, particularly about using the command line and logging in as root for tasks such as this. It is easy to do using a terminal, but take it from someone who ruined an installation with an improper "mv" (move) command, you just want to leave accessing protected folders alone for right now.

Quote:
How can I make folders open within the same window?
OK, this one you'll like. In Gnome, drill down through the menu doing the following: Applications>Preferences>More Preferences>File Management. Click on the "behavior" tab. Under the "Behavior" section is a check box "Always open in browser windows." Check this and you are now in single window mode. Spatial Nautilus takes some getting used to...you might want to try it for a while before changing. If you have a wheel mouse, you can always double click the wheel button to open single windows in spatial Nautilus.

There are some guides and FAQ's on this site. Taylor65 wrote a Newbie HowTo on setting up and configuring FC3. I don't have the link handy, but some searching this site should find it easily. Another good FC3 newbie HowTo is here: LINK

Good luck! Post back if you have more questions.

Bob

Last edited by Bob D.; 4th February 2005 at 06:47 AM.
Old 25th July 2006, 05:43 AM
annemargrette Offline

hey bob!

after i the su- thing, will i be ready to edit the config file already?

Tags
linux, newcomer, questions