Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 26th January 2005, 09:17 PM
willeubanks Offline

What?? Discs 2, 3, 4 reading as Discs 6, 7, 8

I downloaded FC3 ISO's 1, 2, 3 and 4 from various mirror sites linked from the Fedora page and all of them checked out with md5 checksum. Problem is, when I get into the install, the last 3 discs are reading as discs 6, 7 and 8, which means I can't do anything requiring more than disc 1 because I get a "That is not the correct Fedora CDROM" message. Has anyone ever seen this? I've searched these forums and google and haven't found a similar situation. I'll try downloading some different images, but I don't see why that'd be the problem if they checkoud out with md5. Anyone know? Thanks for the help.
Old 27th January 2005, 12:47 AM
SuperNu Offline

Just wondering, but did you download iso images named similar to FC3-i386-disc1.iso or FC3-i386-SRPMS-disc1.iso? If you downloaded isos similar to the latter, then you have the source rpms and not the binary rpms.

--SN
Old 27th January 2005, 02:23 AM
Jman Offline

Try downloading the MD5SUM file to your iso directory and running
Code:
md5sum -c MD5SUM
Should check them all, the file names are in it.
Old 27th January 2005, 06:03 AM
willeubanks Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperNu
Just wondering, but did you download iso images named similar to FC3-i386-disc1.iso or FC3-i386-SRPMS-disc1.iso? If you downloaded isos similar to the latter, then you have the source rpms and not the binary rpms.

--SN
yep, turns out that's what i did. haha. so i got the right ISO's and stuff and got FC3 all loaded up, but for some reason GRUB was freezing when i reboot my computer and wouldn't let me boot from either OS. luckily i know more about windows than linux and was able to use recovery console to rewrite my MBR. so how do i make GRUB work or is there a better boot program that someone would reccomend?

PS - i have linux and XP installed on two seperate hard drives, so do i need to create a /boot partition on the FC3 drive? i thought i would be able to load it from the other hard drives MBR, but i'm not so sure now. that's also where i installed GRUB to - the XP MBR that is.

Tags
discs, reading