Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 22nd January 2005, 05:30 AM
swortsoul Offline

Error on installation

I'm new to linux and need a little help. I get an error while installing Fedora core 2. It says that there was an error on the install, and is probably does to not enough disk space.

I'm installing this on an older machine with a 10G hard drive. I've tried installing a minimal installation, which should be able to fit on a 10G drive, right?

At first, it was telling me there was no core cd in the drive. I found someone else with the issue who used ide=nodma ton install, and that worked for me. Once I got past that, I was able to test and verify the media. I'm now running into this other error.

Windows was previously installed on the hard drive. I chose the option to destroy all partitions on the install.

I also don't know if there is a log I can look at, so I don't know any more info on the error.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 22nd January 2005, 08:12 AM
imdeemvp Offline

How much space are you actually allocating for installation. If you created the partition delete it and leave as free space and let fedora do the partitioning for you and when prompted select 'use free space'.

Easiest and most friendly desktop ever is PCLinuxOS! Includes all this apps. Just try it.

"The greater the struggle THE greater the achievment."

Do you know HIM?

If you are an idiot click here. NThis will test you linux skills :D
Old 23rd January 2005, 09:29 PM
swortsoul Offline

Thanks for the quick reply. Basically, I didn't understand how the initial partitioning worked. In the automatic mode, it created a small /boot partition, a larger / partition, and a swap space. The install was putting everything in /boot, therefore running out of space. I've got it figured out now.

Now I just need to figure out the whole linux partitioning and LVM. It's a bit different from the AIX I'm used to...

Thanks again for the help.
Tim
Old 24th January 2005, 06:39 AM
crackers Offline
Retired Community Manager

You don't have to use auto-partitioning, nor do you have to use LVM. Using the "manual" mode, you can specify the size, type, and number of partitions all on your own. It's also handy for wiping out previous partitions...
Linux User #28251 (April '93)
Professional Java Geek :cool:

Tags
error, installation