Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 19th January 2005, 10:12 PM
nick2112 Offline

Angry Sound still not working in FC3

Ok, I am going to post this again in the hopes that someone can help me get sound working in FC3. If there is some other board to post on to get a response to this please let me know.

When I run the program "system-config-soundcard" I do get sound (the test music plays), but sound does NOT work in KDE.

I get the following error when KDE starts:

Code:
Sound server informational message:
Error while initializing the sound driver:
device: default can't be opened for playback (No such file or directory)
The sound server will continue, using the null output device.
Now this being Linux, there is probably a config file somewhere that is not setup correctly. The problem is, I don't have a clue where the heck to start looking for a file!!! I don't know how KDE does sound, so I don't know what to do.

Someone please help! Sound must be working because the test sample played (but that obviously doesn't use whatever KDE uses for sound). Please help before I have to go back to FC1 or some other distro just to get sound working.
Old 20th January 2005, 12:09 AM
Dewey Offline

Have you tried gnome or xfce or any other Window Manager?
It may be a problem with your sound drivers, and not just KDE.
Old 20th January 2005, 04:45 PM
gfem Offline

Go into the system config and turn off the load sound server at startup. That should fix it.
Old 21st January 2005, 01:42 AM
nick2112 Offline

OK, I think I have everything working now. I switched all the settings over to something called "Open Sound Server" and that seems to work. The KDE setup program crashed when I did this, but sound now seems to work.

Just a bit of feedback on those developing the sound system for Linux.... IT REALLY SUCKS AND IS TOTALLY CONFUSING!!!!

Tags
fc3, sound, working