Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora Resources > Guides & Solutions (No Questions)
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Guides & Solutions (No Questions) Post your guides here (No links to Blogs accepted). You can also append your comments/questions to a guide, but don't start a new thread to ask a question. Use another forum for that.

Old 23rd June 2004, 03:12 AM
sailor Offline
Administrator

Location: San Antonio, Texas - Home of the Alamo, the "Cradle of Texas Liberty"
This is the method I used to install the nvidia module...for FC1

Nvidia drivers FC 1(by gonzalo76, http://www.fedoraforum.org)
My current kernel version is 2.4.22-1.2188.nptl i686, it's the last one of the 2.4 series.

So, in my case, I had to download:

1. kernel-module-nvidia-2.4.22-1.2188.nptl-1.0.5336-0.lvn.3.1.i686.rpm
2. nvidia-glx-1.0.5336-0.lvn.3.1.i386.rpm

Then, I installed them with : rpm -ivh *.rpm

Also, you do not need to drop out of X to perform the installation.

The Livna Nvidia driver RPM comes with a small python script, which works as an extension to redhat-config-xfree86, and does all the editing of the XFree86 configuration file for you.

The only thing is that there are only 2 kernel versions available, 2.4...2174 and 2.4...2188 and they are only for Fedora Core 1.

Download link:
http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/1/i386/RPMS.stable/

Fedora 20 - Lenovo IdeaPad V570

Last edited by sailor; 23rd June 2004 at 03:22 AM.
Old 23rd June 2004, 03:25 AM
sailor Offline
Administrator

Location: San Antonio, Texas - Home of the Alamo, the "Cradle of Texas Liberty"
For FC2 try:
I used the linuxant kernal as well ...http://www.linuxant.com/driverloader...ernel-i686.php
then ran the Nvidia script for linux (available at http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d..._1.0-5336.html)...make sure you read the README...you will need to edit your xorg.conf file....

Fedora 20 - Lenovo IdeaPad V570

Last edited by sailor; 23rd June 2004 at 04:21 AM.
Old 8th July 2004, 01:10 PM
ats-tech Offline

You may want to make note that nvidia has released a new set of drivers compatible with 4k_stacks. Get them here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d..._1.0-6106.html
Old 9th July 2004, 12:28 AM
Thavador Offline

n00b-question: how to configure runlevel for booting out of the x-server/platform?

Hi there,

i'm completely new to Linux and Unix.

How can i set the runlevel for the next boot, when i want to just boot
linux without a x-server running?

I need this info for installing and compiling the Nvidia-Driver.

Greetz,
Thav
Old 9th July 2004, 02:10 AM
cybrjackle Offline

edit:
Code:
#vi /etc/inittab

# Default runlevel.
id:3:initdefault:
Change the default runlevel from 5 to 3

Main Desktop:
Rawhide x86_64
MSI K8N NEO2 Platinum
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Winchester @ 2350MHz
CORSAIR XMS TWINX1024-3200C2 2GB
BFG Nvidia GeForce 6800GT OC @ 370MHz 256MB GDDR3
2x80GB SATA 150 Segate Raid 0
Old 9th July 2004, 03:13 PM
Varkk Offline

or at the grub boot menu add init 3 to the kernel parameters, this will only do it for that one boot whereas cybrjackle's solution will make it always runlevel 3 (text mode)
Old 11th July 2004, 01:02 PM
rkl Offline

Or just run init...

When there's a new Nvidia driver out, this is what I do as root on FC2:

1. init 3
This drops you into text mode (kills the X server, which is necessary for installing the driver).

2. Log in as root and then run the NVIDIA installer. Usually just pressing return to the questions (you'll have to Accept the license agreement of course) is good enough.

3. If I haven't done it already, edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf as detailed in the README that comes with the driver. I knock out the Load "dri" line and change the Driver line from "nv" to "nvidia".

4. init 5

Note that when you get a new kernel RPM update for FC2 after having installed the Nvidia driver for the old kernel, then you should apply that new kernel, reboot, watch X fail (it tries 3 times), don't start the X server and then do steps 2 and 3 (I tend to reboot after step 3, rather than do an "init 5").
Old 11th July 2004, 02:35 PM
crackers Offline
Retired Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkl
(I tend to reboot after step 3, rather than do an "init 5").
You don't need to do that - the driver will load when going into runlevel 5. Here's what I've been doing ever since I started using the NVidia drivers...

After booting with the new kernel, login as root, then run through this sequence:
1) init 3 (shutdown all X operations so it won't retry)
2) install drivers
3) make a backup of your original xorg.conf (I have the original and a modifed for the NVidia drivers and use a soft-link to "switch" between the two)
4) make the required changes
5) init 5

No reboot is necessary after loading the new kernel. I also tend to keep one older kernel that has proven to be stable until I install a new one - I'm a bit paranoid and like to get back to a working state if something takes a dive...
Old 11th July 2004, 03:11 PM
cybrjackle Offline

I do the same steps as "crackres", but "Thavador" asked "when i want to just boot
linux without a x-server running?" So that is why I mentioned editing inittab. However he followed up with he needs to do it because of Nvidia driver installation.

As you can see Thavador, in Linux there are 10 ways of doing things. 8)

All of this info is good to know when you are new to Linux.

Main Desktop:
Rawhide x86_64
MSI K8N NEO2 Platinum
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Winchester @ 2350MHz
CORSAIR XMS TWINX1024-3200C2 2GB
BFG Nvidia GeForce 6800GT OC @ 370MHz 256MB GDDR3
2x80GB SATA 150 Segate Raid 0
Old 11th July 2004, 05:00 PM
crackers Offline

Actually, I just re-read rkl's post and my procedure is almost identical to his, except I don't reboot.

The big trick is to always have a way to get back to a "stable" configuration - make backups of config files you edit by hand, have an extra kernel handy, ... With adequate safeguards, you can then proceed to screw up your system with impunity, because you can always "put it back."
Old 11th July 2004, 10:32 PM
MHeitmann62 Offline

Hi guys,

I have a problem with my Fedora Core 2 (kernel 2.6.6-1.435.2.3) and the nvidia drivers (6106).
After I've installed the driver and changed the xorg.conf as mentioned above. If I changed to init 5 the system frezzed - but is reachable by ssh.

Can anybody help me to solve this problem? I've attached my xorg.conf and the xorg.log file.

Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: txt xorg.conf.txt (2.8 KB, 284 views)
File Type: txt Xorg.0.log.txt (23.7 KB, 262 views)
Old 15th July 2004, 04:24 AM
gotmonkey Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkl
When there's a new Nvidia driver out, this is what I do as root on FC2:

1. init 3
This drops you into text mode (kills the X server, which is necessary for installing the driver).

2. Log in as root and then run the NVIDIA installer. Usually just pressing return to the questions (you'll have to Accept the license agreement of course) is good enough.

3. If I haven't done it already, edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf as detailed in the README that comes with the driver. I knock out the Load "dri" line and change the Driver line from "nv" to "nvidia".

4. init 5

Note that when you get a new kernel RPM update for FC2 after having installed the Nvidia driver for the old kernel, then you should apply that new kernel, reboot, watch X fail (it tries 3 times), don't start the X server and then do steps 2 and 3 (I tend to reboot after step 3, rather than do an "init 5").

RKL,
I don't get the knock "Load dri" out. Wouldn't it be needed to run 3D stuff? I have an ATI 9700pro. Would my direct rendering come from loading it's drivers?
Old 15th July 2004, 05:41 PM
crackers Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmonkey
I don't get the knock "Load dri" out. Wouldn't it be needed to run 3D stuff? I have an ATI 9700pro. Would my direct rendering come from loading it's drivers?
This is for the Nvidia drivers - they bundle in DRI, so loading the Xorg DRI implementation would cause conflicts, etc. I have no idea if the ATI drivers require the DRI module(s) to be loaded or not...
Linux User #28251 (April '93)
Professional Java Geek :cool:
Old 16th July 2004, 03:04 PM
Darkmage Offline

Talking

Thanks for the how-to, works like a charm with 3ddesktop and k3ddesktop.

Tags
drivers, nvidia