Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 17th January 2005, 10:09 AM
Fragile Avatar Offline

Angry Lucent WaveLAN Silver Locks Tecra 8100

I've been tackling this problem for a bit.

It never locks at the same time or regularity, but usually on boot-up when the network starts or the Login is loading, the PCMCIA WaveLAN Silver card will lock the system right up. Remove the card and everything goes back to normal. Plug the card back in and suddenly it works like a charm. Then on shutdown it also locks up. I once told Fedora to shut off and I left it and came back 30 minutes later and it was still sitting there shutting down one service untill I removed the WaveLAN card and then suddenly it finished it's shutdown.

Is the Lucent Technologies WaveLAN Silver 5 Volt PCMCIA card flakey in this regard? Windows XP had the same behavoir with the exception once the system locked up it had to be rebooted.

It does work, but not that great considering the randomness of it's lock-ups. Sometimes just inserting it can lock it up. I know the card itself works fine as it ran without a single hitch on a Powerbook G3. The cards were originally marketed to Mac portables, so might this be a factor?

Bottom line, I'm not really interested in jumping through hoops to try and fix this as I have other CardBus cards that work fine, but I wouldn't mind getting another Wireless card and I'm wondering what experience others have of various cards. Locally all types of cards are available from Netgear to D-Link etc. To give you an example of cards I know I can get in my area:

D-Link DWL-G630 AirPlus G 2.4GHz Wireless CardBus Adapter
Linksys Wireless Network Card Bus
Linksys Wireless Type I Compact Flash Card
Linksys Wireless-G Notebook Adapter
Linksys WPC54GS Wireless-G Notebook Adapter with SpeedBooster
Netgear MA521 802.11b Wireless PC Card
Netgear WG511 802.11G Wireless PC Card
Netgear WG511T 802.11g 108Mbps Wireless PC Card
SMC EZ Connect 2835W 54MBPS Wireless Cardbus Adapter
U.S. Robotics 802.11g 100 Mbps Wireless Turbo PC Card

Any info on pros and cons would be most helpfull.

Tags
8100, locks, lucent, silver, tecra, wavelan