Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 10th January 2005, 03:11 AM
PhilD Offline

Recommendations for a laptop

Ok folks... I'm thinking about getting a laptop to have kicking around, I need just a basic one... obviously the more powerful the better but I'm thinking a 1Ghz+ is fine with 256Mb or so.

It will be entirely for work or just general browsing around the house (maybe in the living room while watching TV with some wireless on the go )

Basically I was wondering, what are the best manufactures/suppliers I should be looking at? I'd quite like to find somewhere that maybe does second hand as my budget is low... £500 tops. I'd also like a nice light machine (although maybe hard wearing) as it will be getting toted around a lot.

What are peoples thoughts, I can find a few things in the price range but most of them seem to be monster laptops that way a tonne. I'd probably up the price to as much as £600 if the laptop was more ideal.

The reason i ask hear is I also want to know, what sort of manufacturer has the best sort of track record with fedora? I'd love to be able to use FC3 with the laptop but don't want to have to sacrifice settings or features.

Thanks for any ideas.
Old 11th January 2005, 12:57 AM
dickinsd Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD
Ok folks... I'm thinking about getting a laptop to have kicking around, I need just a basic one... obviously the more powerful the better but I'm thinking a 1Ghz+ is fine with 256Mb or so.

It will be entirely for work or just general browsing around the house (maybe in the living room while watching TV with some wireless on the go )

Basically I was wondering, what are the best manufactures/suppliers I should be looking at? I'd quite like to find somewhere that maybe does second hand as my budget is low... £500 tops. I'd also like a nice light machine (although maybe hard wearing) as it will be getting toted around a lot.

What are peoples thoughts, I can find a few things in the price range but most of them seem to be monster laptops that way a tonne. I'd probably up the price to as much as £600 if the laptop was more ideal.

The reason i ask hear is I also want to know, what sort of manufacturer has the best sort of track record with fedora? I'd love to be able to use FC3 with the laptop but don't want to have to sacrifice settings or features.

Thanks for any ideas.
£500 tops - forget the light bit and go to comet/PC world/currys - almost any LARGE electronics store at the minute and you'll get a brand new 2Ghz+ laptop for not much more than that!

I am telling you that you will be able to choose from a good few if you have £600 to spend - and maybe move away from the light part.

My HP Pavillion is like £499 (I think) has DVD ROM/CD writer, 30Gb HDD, 256Mb RAM, 64Mb ATI mobility gfx - but Celeron 2Ghz (donwside - celeron)

I think an AMD version roughly as powerful - but ATI mobile - so got speed step - with DVD writer (painfully slow DVD writer - but DVD writer all the same) is like £599

If you want something a little less square looking - get to PC world they had some great prices on some nice tidy looking toshiba notebooks

www.ebuyer.co.uk might be a good place to look as well - cheap for components but not too sure on system prices - can't say I have looked.

Man £600 gets you a lot more in terms of Laptops now than it did just 6 months ago - they have really come down in price (obviously there's still the expensive ones - with Super specs to rival most desktops) My Laptop is not a sexy slim laptop, nor is mega powerful, but its fairly tough, looks OK and does the job fine - AND FC3 has no problem working with it.

My only gripe would be with my wireless card, but that's a 3rd party anyway!

Dave
Old 11th January 2005, 01:45 AM
PhilD Offline

Thanks for the detailed input.

I really don't need a 2Ghz system or anything but i'll check out some electronics stores while in town tomorrow.

I was on ebay today looking at a few things and to be honest i think something like http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...155106376&rd=1

It's small, light, ok spec wise and has ok battery power. Is something like that more ideal, i was really up for something small rather than big.

No doubt i'll probably do something stupid tomorrow and buy something really state of the art and just put it on my visa.
Old 11th January 2005, 02:05 AM
imdeemvp Offline

I say you do....for now if you can just spare a couple of hundreds of dollars go for a new model. I have a compaq presario 2103us cd-rw/dvd, ati, 256 (+ 512 more) baby flies for less $700.

Easiest and most friendly desktop ever is PCLinuxOS! Includes all this apps. Just try it.

"The greater the struggle THE greater the achievment."

Do you know HIM?

If you are an idiot click here. NThis will test you linux skills :D
Old 11th January 2005, 02:25 AM
PhilD Offline

Hmm... $700 ? That's only about £375, which i'm more than willing to spend. Unfortunately i can't find any dealers in the uk for laptops that are that cheap... they all start around the £500 mark and that's for huge chunky things.
Old 11th January 2005, 02:58 PM
dickinsd Offline

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD
Thanks for the detailed input.

I really don't need a 2Ghz system or anything but i'll check out some electronics stores while in town tomorrow.

I was on ebay today looking at a few things and to be honest i think something like http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...155106376&rd=1

It's small, light, ok spec wise and has ok battery power. Is something like that more ideal, i was really up for something small rather than big.

No doubt i'll probably do something stupid tomorrow and buy something really state of the art and just put it on my visa.
Well I think the one on ebay is pretty nice, but price seems to have gone quite far.

Personally I would struggle to part with that much money for a secondhand 1.4Ghz.

But if size/weight are important factors to you, then you should get the product that fits the best.

I mentioned a little about my laptop - and I need it sometimes - really need it other times it is just sat on the desk like a fold away desktop - for me mobility was important, but not quite as important as a couple of other things.

When I am lugging it round, I sometimes wish I had purchased a lighter one, a nice little centrino jobby would have been my preference but at the time, the money I had and a couple of features I wanted limited my choices
Now just 8 months later - the choice is greater at that sort of money.

At the end of the day it comes down to personal preference - I am happy with my laptop - does the job for me, but there are times (usually when I have been carrying it for a couple of hours) that I wish I had a lighter one, or maybe one that had seperate optical drives, as they are usually slimmer/lighter and you don't need the optial all the time do you.

Anyway - let us know what you end up with.

Dave
Old 11th January 2005, 03:01 PM
dickinsd Offline

I think these are not to bad for the cash - but again maybe a little on the heavy side - I think the thing that appeals to me the most is the widescreen (DVD viewing)

http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/conten...-A60-02D8K.htm
Old 11th January 2005, 03:08 PM
olivierv Offline

My only recommendation is that you opt for NVIDIA graphics if accelerated 3D is of any importance to you. I'm not pro NVIDIA or pro ATI, just that when it comes to Linux support, ATI has the lights on but no one's answering the door.

I've had 3 laptops with ATI cards and getting support is always an excercise in frustration. That said, 2D graphics have always worked out of the box regardless of the graphics card.

That is all....
Old 11th January 2005, 11:25 PM
dickinsd Offline

Just a quick question....

What would you need 3d accelerated graphics for in Linux?

I have not seen anything that is interesting enough to require 3d graphics?

Are we talking games?

I don't mean crappy old games - can you get a good decent first person shooter for Linux?

I know when I used to play Counter strike a couple of years back I would see Linux servers, but I thought it was just a game running in text mode on a Linux server not an actual game that someone was playing??

I suddenly feel like I have been missing something.......

Dave
Old 11th January 2005, 11:47 PM
Neophyte13 Offline

Avertec?

Personally I have had a lot of fellow students rave about ther Avertec laptops. Grant it those student use XP not FC3 but the laptops are pretty solid and CHEAP. This is the specs on the last one I looked at

$1,100
Combo CD-R/RW/DVD-R Drive
Wide Screen Monitor
AMD 1.8GHZ
512MB RAM
SiS Video 64MB
80 GB Hard Disk
Wireless, LAN, Modem

Not bad at all for $1,100... I paid $2400 for my Dell P4 1.7 and I have had tons of problems with it and getting the non-english speaking warranty department.
Old 12th January 2005, 02:32 PM
olivierv Offline

Games are one application. Unreal Tournament 2003 and 2004 have Linux binaries. The Quake series (2 and up I think) of games also have Linux binaries. Same for Doom3.

I'm also talking about apps like PTCs ProEngineer (Wildfire) CAD application.
Old 14th January 2005, 04:33 PM
dickinsd Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivierv
Games are one application. Unreal Tournament 2003 and 2004 have Linux binaries. The Quake series (2 and up I think) of games also have Linux binaries. Same for Doom3.

I'm also talking about apps like PTCs ProEngineer (Wildfire) CAD application.
Supposing I want to try doom3 for Linux, where would I go for this, I can't say I have ever noticed a Linux game at any of the game stores I have been to.

Dave
Old 14th January 2005, 05:18 PM
macemoneta Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickinsd
Supposing I want to try doom3 for Linux, where would I go for this, I can't say I have ever noticed a Linux game at any of the game stores I have been to.

Dave
The Linux versions are usually available for download from the manufacturer's web site, to be used with the data files on a purchased CD. So, in the case of DOOM3, buy the Windows version and download the Linux software, as documented in ID Software's FAQ (try the demo first, to make sure your hardware is compatible).
Old 14th January 2005, 05:21 PM
PhilD Offline

Just to update everyone I decided to get a Sony Vaio Z1WAMP3. Which was both above my budget hugely and not even availible in europe :| But, I was up for it... going to get one shipped by a friend in states

Thanks for everyones suggestions.

Last edited by PhilD; 14th January 2005 at 05:29 PM.