Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora Resources > Guides & Solutions (No Questions)
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Guides & Solutions (No Questions) Post your guides here (No links to Blogs accepted). You can also append your comments/questions to a guide, but don't start a new thread to ask a question. Use another forum for that.

Old 9th January 2005, 01:25 PM
FunkyRes Offline

How to use iPod in FC3

I've written a small page on using gtkpod in Fedora Core 3.

FC3 will mount the iPod automagically through the hal daemon, but that is not something I wanted because if the iPod was docked (charging) and someone else was logged in, they would have a nice pretty icon on their desk top containing my iPod stuff - and write permission to it.

Also - it's not very elegant because you have to unmount it manually.

http://mpeters.us/linux/linux_pod.php

I've packaged gtkpod so that it disabled hal from automounting the iPod, and istead uses autofs to mount the iPod when it needs to access it but only for users who are a member of the gtkpod group.

When you exit gtkpod, it will unmount the iPod as well - so that you don't have to.

The page also talks about how to organize your mp3 files in Rhythmbox and be able to use your Rhythmbox playlists to create playlists for loading onto the iPod.

Enjoy.
Old 9th January 2005, 01:32 PM
mgor Offline

great, gonna try it out as soon i get my ipod!

Last edited by mgor; 9th January 2005 at 01:48 PM.
Old 20th January 2005, 02:15 PM
mgor Offline

okey, the iPod works perfect when i let HAL take care of mounting it. though i can't get it to work with autofs :-/ since i don't have any firewire ports on my computer i use usb2.

edit:
hm, autofs tries to mount it but i get the following error (translated from swedish so i don't know exactly what the english dito would be):
mount: wrong filesystem type, wrong flag, wrong superblock on /dev/ipod or to many mounted filesystems.

i've haven't been able to mount it manually either, so what am i doing wrong?

edit2:
heh, got it working now :-) it's a good idea to make sure udev creates a symlink to the right partition

Last edited by mgor; 20th January 2005 at 02:34 PM.
Old 20th January 2005, 08:43 PM
MarkBegal Offline

I got mine working with your instructions, thanks a bunch
Old 11th June 2005, 05:03 PM
tgrier Offline

Hello.

Thank you for your help. I have things working except for the part of moving playlists from RB to GTKpod.

When you save a playlist from RB it is saved as a .pls and I tried to yum install the script that mpeters listed on his webpage .. but It did not come through.

I am needing help in getting a playlist from RB and converting it to a .m3u so that GTKpod will reconginze it.

Thank you for your help
Old 11th June 2005, 08:36 PM
imdeemvp Offline

Dude exellent how-to.....www.tuxmagazine.com also has an article but yours is fedora based and very nice. BTW pm tchung and maybe he will allow you to post it in fedoranews.org

Easiest and most friendly desktop ever is PCLinuxOS! Includes all this apps. Just try it.

"The greater the struggle THE greater the achievment."

Do you know HIM?

If you are an idiot click here. NThis will test you linux skills :D

Tags
fc3, ipod