Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 23rd February 2017, 12:35 PM
BoraxMan Offline

linuxchrome
Is hibernation on Fedora fundamentally broken for i386?

I have had an issue with my Thinkpad T42 laptop and hibernation with Fedora 24, since at least Kernel 4.7.2 (thereabouts).

The issue is that when resuming from hibernation, the image loads to 100%, and the system spontaneously reboots with the last message being about suspended consoles. This has been consistent with every kernel version since then. I have even tried my own compiled kernels, and they either resulted in a hard reset, or a hard freeze upon resume. There have been no configuration changes.

Resuming with extra kernel debugging information, the last line is 'calling lapic_suspend', but the kernel option 'nolapic', or 'noacpi' don't work.

Suspend works fine, its just hibernation.

I have followed the step here https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documenta...-debugging.txt, but all the tests work fine. The system is able to resume after a test.

Thinking it could be hardware, I transferred the installation to a virtual machine, and the problem persisted. The virtual machine would report an unrecoverable error when resuming.

I have tried upgrading to fedora 25, and that didn't fix the issue. Thinking it could be my installation, I tried installing Fedora i386 FRESH on a new virtual machine and it stlll doesn't fix the issue.

The fact that a new installation of fedora, on a new virtual machine, with a new virtual disk has similar issues, leads me to believe that it is Fedora itself.

I also run Fedora on my desktop, but hibernation works fine there. The difference is the desktop is 64bit.

Is there a long standing issue with hibernation? It seems unlikely I'm the only one affected by it.
Old 23rd February 2017, 02:53 PM
dodona Offline

windows_7firefox
Re: Is hibernation on Fedora fundamentally broken for i386?

hibernation with Fedora 25 on x86/64 doesn't work. I wonder why?
Old 23rd February 2017, 06:49 PM
mtk Offline

windows_98_nt_2000chrome

suspend, video playback, sound, the detection of memory cards, and the detection of my wifi device all broke during a kernel update earlier in the month on my lenovo laptop. i haven't seen people screaming but i'm wondering if others had similar problems? /mark
Old 23rd February 2017, 07:25 PM
dodona Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtk View Post
suspend, video playback, sound, the detection of memory cards, and the detection of my wifi device all broke during a kernel update earlier in the month on my lenovo laptop. i haven't seen people screaming but i'm wondering if others had similar problems? /mark
I also had a lot of problems. /dev/null wasn't writeable or disappeared at all, polkit error, network connection gone lost after a suspend, ... However since 4.9.10 the machine runs smooth and stable. Hope nothing changes.
Old 16th March 2017, 04:03 PM
dodona Offline

windows_7firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodona View Post
I also had a lot of problems. /dev/null wasn't writeable or disappeared at all, polkit error, network connection gone lost after a suspend, ... However since 4.9.10 the machine runs smooth and stable. Hope nothing changes.
it suspends, but doesn't hibernate. Guess its broken.

Tags
broken, fedora, fundamentally, hibernation, i386