I installed Fedora 23, now my kernel got updated to 4.2.1-300 and my Nvidia GT-630 stopped to work.
Anyone can help me here, please?
I installed Fedora 23, now my kernel got updated to 4.2.1-300 and my Nvidia GT-630 stopped to work.
Anyone can help me here, please?
I too am having various issues with Nvidia in F23.
I uninstalled the nvidia drivers and installed nouveau. I am now able to run gnome, but not KDE (Plasma).
nvidia drivers don't work with kernel 4.2 because ABI version is not good :
Xorg.0.log
Code:............................................ [ 53.241] ================ WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING ================ [ 53.241] This server has a video driver ABI version of 20.0 that is not supported by this NVIDIA driver. Please check http://www.nvidia.com/ for driver updates or downgrade to an X server with a supported driver ABI. [ 53.241] ================================================================= [ 53.241] (EE) NVIDIA: Use the -ignoreABI option to override this check. [ 53.241] (II) UnloadModule: "nvidia" [ 53.241] (II) Unloading nvidia [ 53.241] (EE) Failed to load module "nvidia" (module requirement mismatch, 0) ...........................................
The Linux kernel and Xorg are completely separate items.
The Nvidia driver works perfectly fine with the 4.2.x kernels.
What the Nvidia driver doesn't currently work with is the pre-
release Xorg 1.18 versions that are currently being pushed out
in F23. Downgrade to the 1.17 version and prevent it from
updating until Nvidia releases a new driver that supports the
new ABI, which will probably be within a few weeks.
Using IgnoreABI is also not a working solution this time around.
Thank for your explanation Vallimar.
I attempt to downgrade to 1.17 version, but but there are a lot of dependencies, I prefer stay here and see for new nvidia drivers with support for the new ABI..
Is the nouveau driver reliable enough under F23?
I'm still running F22 and I use the proprietary nVidia solution only because of the performance increase and lesser heat-up issues. However, there are some graphical glitches and since I don't game, I would rather go back to the nouveau driver.
I'm worried that when Wayland kicks in for good, nVidia will have to take action and adjust the drivers or it will only support the 'legacy' X server.
I have had same problems for a week now.
I was only able to run LXDE with some trick I already forgot, because later today when I rebooted, I was not even able to run X with nouveau-driver:
Any idea what is the reason for that error with nouveau?[ 381.350] (II) LoadModule: "nouveau"
[ 381.351] (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/nouveau_drv.so
[ 381.351] (II) Module nouveau: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[ 381.351] compiled for 1.16.1, module version = 1.0.11
[ 381.351] Module class: X.Org Video Driver
[ 381.351] ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 18.0
[ 381.351] (II) NOUVEAU driver
....
[ 381.354] (EE) [drm] KMS not enabled
[ 381.354] (EE) No devices detected.
[ 381.354] (EE)
Fatal server error:
[ 381.354] (EE) no screens found(EE)
I had nouveau kernel-driver loaded and nvidia kernel-driver not loaded.
-ignoreABI indeed does not help to run nvidia.
BTW, where one should put that -ignoreABI in Fedora, if Xorg is wanted to run with that option?
I ended up doing this to test, because I couldn't figure out how else it could be done:
But as said, it does not help. gdm and X won't crash, but won't work either. Only black screen.Code:# mv /usr/libexec/Xorg.wrap /usr/libexec/Xorg.wrap.rpmorig # cat >/usr/local/bin/Xorg.wrap <<ENDHERE #!/bin/sh exec /usr/libexec/Xorg.wrap.rpmorig -ignoreABI ENDHERE # chmod ogu+rx /usr/local/bin/Xorg.wrap # ln -s /usr/local/bin/Xorg.wrap /usr/libexec/Xorg.wrap
So, I ended up downgrading Xorg:
Now gdm and GNOME works with nvidia driver.Code:# dnf --showduplicates --allowerasing --releasever=22 downgrade xorg-x11-server-Xorg ... # uname -a Linux myhost 4.2.2-300.fc23.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Sep 30 01:36:26 UTC 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux # rpm -q xorg-x11-server-Xorg xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.17.2-2.fc22.2.x86_64
Should I do something now to prevent Xorg-packages to be auto-upgraded with dnf update?
Last edited by zimon; 4th October 2015 at 03:44 PM.
Any ideas how?
I tried this, but it didn't work.
Now already three times with "dnf -y update" also those xorg-packages are auto upgraded to xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.18, which will broke gdm and X next time they are started.Code:# cat > /etc/dnf/protected.d/xorg-x11-server-Xorg.conf <<ZZZZ xorg-x11-server-Xorg ZZZZ # chcon system_u:object_r:etc_t:s0 /etc/dnf/protected.d/xorg-x11-server-Xorg.conf
I always need to downgrade manually.
How to enforce or protect it wouldn't upgrade xorg-x11-server-Xorg and related packages?
Edit:
Later I found, having this in /etc/dnf/dnf.conf works:
It then refuses to upgrade several packages which are related to Xorg:cat >>/etc/dnf/dnf.conf << _DNF
exclude=xorg-x11-server-Xorg
_DNF
"Skipping packages with broken dependencies:"
Last edited by zimon; 24th October 2015 at 12:21 PM.
The way I keep packages from updating is adding them to an "exclude=..." line in /etc/dnf/dnf.conf.
A "man dnf" will explain, somewhere in there.
'Course, I have no idea what else could happen, or not happen, if you exclude something like xorg.
Home: Pentium III. 768M. GeForce GT 730. 120G(3 HDDs)
Office: Lenovo Xiaoxin 700-15ISK
Fedora 28
Any update on when nvidia will support Xorg 1.18, sort of the only thing holding me back for upgrading.
Bo
I'm in the same boat as the above users.
First of all, nouveau doesn't support my nvidia gtx 960 (NV126/GM206), their website talks about future support, but currently it can only run on software rendering.
I installed the binary nvidia via akmod-nvidia packages from rpmfusion, but the driver complained about my ABI version. I run with IgnoreABI which resulted in segmentation fault of the nvidia driver.
I guess we have to wait for new drivers by nvidia in the future before using F23. I'll keep my CentOS6 till that happens.
Or you can use F23 with current nvidia kernel, if you use use Xorg v. 1.17 instead of 1.18
In F23:
Code:sudo dnf --releasever=22 downgrade xorg-x11-server-Xorg
Thanks for the status. I am happy Fedora 22 is supported yet another while, let us hope NVIDIA will provide drivers before end of life of Fedora 22. I also run on a unsupported nouveau chipset.