Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 29th December 2004, 10:17 PM
vaxocentric Offline

Question Hangs on install when 'Probing for video card' (Intel 810)

I'm trying to install FC3 on an older system (466MHz w/ integrated Intel 810 video). In graphical installation mode, it distorts the screen and seems to hang, even when specifying lower resolutions (i.e. linux resolution=640x480).

When I try 'linux text', it hangs whilst running anaconda. The last line displayed is:
"Probing for video card: Intel 810"
and the top 10% of the screen turns black with horizontal distortion.

I'm planning to use this system as a headless server, so not having a GUI is not a problem (although it would be nice to have just in case).

I'm sure this sort of problem has cropped up before in this forum, but I couldn't find reference to it. I greatly appreciate any and all comments and recommendations!

(This system was previously running Win2k server with no problems, so I know the video card is not damaged)
Old 29th December 2004, 11:16 PM
vaxocentric Offline

Well, nevermind.

After restarting twice it seemed to self-correct and installation proceeded without problems.

This is largely why I'm using linux now -- it is hands down better than windows!
Old 29th December 2004, 11:25 PM
kosmosik Offline

you could always also try with install over vnc this is kind of convinient as you get graphical instalation even without graphic card )
Old 5th January 2005, 04:54 AM
tardboy21 Offline

i had the same problem and probably am using the same computer. same vid card and everything. I got a bios update for mine and it fixed it, for the most part.
Old 5th January 2005, 05:48 AM
vaxocentric Offline

i'll try that next time
Old 5th January 2005, 05:49 AM
vaxocentric Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmosik
you could always also try with install over vnc this is kind of convinient as you get graphical instalation even without graphic card )
i'll try that next time for my other lower-end systems.
Old 5th January 2005, 05:50 AM
vaxocentric Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by tardboy21
i had the same problem and probably am using the same computer. same vid card and everything. I got a bios update for mine and it fixed it, for the most part.
good call. i should do that even though i got it working.
Old 5th January 2005, 04:23 PM
dunleav1 Offline

Fedora does not have the correct driver fro this card (i810_drv.o - I just googled to find the updated one.) I downloaded the correct driver and install it after the installation. When you are booting for the install - use nofb option). You can use the old driver by updating the xorg.cof file with the noaccel option.
Old 16th January 2005, 10:58 AM
TildeMan Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmosik
I've read a little about this issue but didn't find any instructions on how to do so. Could you please give me some tips on how I would go about doing so? Thanks for your time.

Tags
810, card, hangs, install, intel, probing, video