FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Milan, Italy
    Age
    42
    Posts
    352
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    HP Elitebook 755 G2 - no wireless

    So, I got myself a brand new shiny HP Elitebook 755 G2 with one of those new fancy AMD Kaveri APUs. After a bit of meddling, I did manage to install F20 (got to start with nomodeset at first, can be dropped after kernel, linux-firmware and mesa are updated), but so far I've had no luck with wireless.
    It comes with one of those dreaded Broadcom chips, the BCM43228 to be precise. Kernel driver b43 should support it starting with kernel 3.17, but for now I'm stuck on 3.16, so I installed the proprietary (bleh) driver from Broadcom, gently provided by rpmfusion.org.
    Now the wireless LED does indeed turn on, but that's pretty much all it does: Network Manager is unable to find any available networks.

    Here's the dmesg:

    http://pastebin.com/G7yn4eX9

    Note the error message near the end:

    Code:
    AMD-Vi: Event logged [INVALID_DEVICE_REQUEST device=00:00.1 address=0x000000fdf80c0020 flags=0x0a00]
    Any hint? Help? Kind words of support?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Milan, Italy
    Age
    42
    Posts
    352
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Thumbs up Re: HP Elitebook 755 G2 - no wireless

    Ok I solved it, basically you have to boot with intremap=off otherwise networking goes bananas. I hope this helps others too!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    America
    Posts
    26
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: HP Elitebook 755 G2 - no wireless

    run that down for me. intremap=off? no clue.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Milan, Italy
    Age
    42
    Posts
    352
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: HP Elitebook 755 G2 - no wireless

    Well, intremap=off disables the kernel interrupt remapping, which might point to a buggy bios or hardware. You have to pass it as a kernel parameter on boot time.
    To permanently add it to the kernel boot line, modify /etc/default/grub and add intremap=off to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX and save.
    Then update grub.cfg. If you made a legacy BIOS install, grub.cfg will be in /boot/grub2, so run:
    Code:
    grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
    If you made an UEFI installation, run instead:
    Code:
    grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grub.cfg
    Then reboot.
    Last edited by r1348; 13th February 2015 at 09:09 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: HP Elitebook 755 G2 - no wireless

    Go to the head of the class.

    Thanks for saving my 755 from a damn good thrashing!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Milan, Italy
    Age
    42
    Posts
    352
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: HP Elitebook 755 G2 - no wireless

    Btw I extracted the firmware needed to have fully functional bluetooth on this laptop, grab it from here https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_c...ew?usp=sharing and just copy it in /lib/firmware/brcm/

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: HP Elitebook 755 G2 - no wireless

    You sir, are a lifesaver. I just got the 745 and had resigned myself to needing a USB wifi adapter, but this worked perfectly!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Milan, Italy
    Age
    42
    Posts
    352
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: HP Elitebook 755 G2 - no wireless

    Glad this is helpful, btw is anyone having issues with headphones after the BIOS update to 1.06?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: HP Elitebook 755 G2 - no wireless

    My BIOS is on 1.04 and I can't get sound from the headphone jack at all.

    Searching about it seems that other people with a combined headphone/mic jack on HP machines are having a similar problem.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: HP Elitebook 755 G2 - no wireless

    Another quick search revealed a working result!

    http://sourceforge.net/p/alsa/mailman/message/33597118/

    Make the file
    /etc/modprobe.d/snd-hda-intel.conf (and reboot):

    alias char-major-116 snd

    alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
    alias snd-card-1 snd-hda-intel

    options snd-hda-intel id=Generic_1 index=0
    options snd-hda-intel id=Generic index=1

    options snd-hda-intel model=hp,headset-mic

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Milan, Italy
    Age
    42
    Posts
    352
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: HP Elitebook 755 G2 - no wireless

    When I bought this laptop in August 2014 it came with BIOS 1.01 and the headphone was working (although with an annoying hiss that is present even in Windows), but after I updated to 1.06 it stopped working. I noticed that now Windows turns off the sound if nothing is using it, so maybe they just added power management...
    I'm going to try the solution you posted to see if it works!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Milan, Italy
    Age
    42
    Posts
    352
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: HP Elitebook 755 G2 - no wireless

    Your solution seems to work fine except for one minor annoyance: the mute button no longer turns orange when you press it. A minor thing, but I'll look into it this weekend to see what's happening.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Milan, Italy
    Age
    42
    Posts
    352
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: HP Elitebook 755 G2 - no wireless

    Good news! The BIOS of this laptop doesn't seem to have a hardware whitelist so changing the wireless chip for a linux-friendlier version is actually an option! I popped in an Intel 5100 chip from an old Dell laptop and it worked flawlessly, I now ordered an Atheros AR9462 off ebay to also have bluetooth, I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

    EDIT 3/5/15: The Atheros chip works like a charm, I strongly suggest to use it so you can get rid of the Broadcom proprietary crap, it sells on ebay for around 15€, totally worth it.
    Last edited by r1348; 3rd May 2015 at 02:17 PM.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Milan, Italy
    Age
    42
    Posts
    352
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: HP Elitebook 755 G2 - no wireless

    Just popping in to say that HP seems to have fixed the networking problem. With the latest BIOS available (1.09 as of writing) you no longer have to add intremap=off to your kernel command line, so I really recommend an update. Tested with vanilla F22, and with the latest kernels available in updates and updates-testing (4.1.10 and 4.2.3).

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Nowhere, New Orleans
    Age
    37
    Posts
    67
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: HP Elitebook 755 G2 - no wireless

    Quote Originally Posted by r1348
    Just popping in to say that HP seems to have fixed the networking problem. With the latest BIOS available (1.09 as of writing) you no longer have to add intremap=off to your kernel command line, so I really recommend an update. Tested with vanilla F22, and with the latest kernels available in updates and updates-testing (4.1.10 and 4.2.3).
    I'm actually interested in this parameter for my Broadcom BCM4322. It would or wouldn't randomly work on several distributions and there seemed to be no sense when and how it works. Heck, sometimes suspend + resume (Manjaro, all spins) would restore the wireless, pointing to some power routing / PCI addressing issue. Since I already opened a thread on BCM4322 a few months back, I will simply bump it with new tests/info.

    Thanks a lot for the intel!

Similar Threads

  1. [SOLVED]
    Spontanious Reboots on Elitebook
    By djl47 in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 6th July 2014, 11:39 PM
  2. Fedora in HP EliteBook 6930p
    By anishjp in forum Hardware
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 16th July 2010, 10:35 PM
  3. hp elitebook 6930p - no wifi
    By schneidz in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 19th September 2009, 11:15 PM
  4. How to Install Fedora 8 with DELL Optiplex 755?
    By Jeffcliu in forum Installation, Upgrades and Live Media
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 9th February 2009, 10:53 PM
  5. FC9 and Optiplex 755 graphicx
    By dean guenther in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 5th September 2008, 03:01 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •