FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Italy
    Age
    41
    Posts
    88
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ACPI no thermal informations, cpu fan slow and overheating

    Hello,

    I'm experiencing overheating on my laptop (Acer Aspire 4830TG). Everything works quite well, but the CPU fan is always low in RPMs, and using the sensors command I get quite high temperatures (up to 70 degrees).

    When computer is hot and I reboot, in the BIOS user interface the fan starts to run quickly and the computer gets colder.

    I understand that, maybe, for energy saving, the fan is kept slow, but sometimes the computer becomes unoperable.

    I would like to have a better support for the fan, but "acpi -t" won't display anything and using "sensors" just print information about the CPU temperatures, but nothing about the fan temperature.

    Do you have any idea?

    EDIT: also, manual fan speed setting would be a wondeful option, but I cannot find anything fan-related into /proc or /sys: apparently there are no files related to cpu speed control... But this is weird. I think a kernel or something introduced a regression a year or two ago, because when I bought the computer the fan speed worked properly, and is also working properly in windows (I shall try other Linux distros, btw).

  2. #2
    dobbi Guest

    Re: ACPI no thermal informations, cpu fan slow and overheating

    Have you tried fancontrol?

    Code:
    $ locate fancontrol
    /usr/lib/systemd/system/fancontrol.service
    /usr/sbin/fancontrol
    /usr/share/doc/lm_sensors/fancontrol.init
    /usr/share/doc/lm_sensors/doc/fancontrol.txt
    /usr/share/man/man8/fancontrol.8.gz

    code]GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet acpi_enforce_resources=lax"
    http://hydra.geht.net/tino/howto/linux/fixes/w83627hf/[/code]

    Is your acpi working correctly?
    You can test it making it more lax, but beware that this behavior is dangerous that is why it changed.

    You could also try using the "find" command to look for it, "locate" will not work since the proc and sys are created on each reboot and are likely not in the db.
    e.g.:
    Code:
    # find /sys -name fan
    /sys/bus/acpi/drivers/fan

    ps: All those controls come from the kernel drivers, they may or may not have settings for it, you have to use modinfo to look it up

    If it is a bug on the driver then you could try downgrading, disabling ACPI or ???

    Resources:
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/fan_speed_control
    http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_control_fan_speed
    Last edited by dobbi; 6th September 2014 at 01:05 AM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Italy
    Age
    41
    Posts
    88
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: ACPI no thermal informations, cpu fan slow and overheating

    Thanks for the reply and sorry for my delay.

    I tried using lax on ACPI, but without success: the sensors command prints out the same message as before, without any information about fan.

    I am having troubles with fancontrol, too. It says to run pwmconfig, but I get:

    Code:
    /sbin/pwmconfig: There are no pwm-capable sensor modules installed
    Btw, I noticed in dmesg that I get some ACPI errors:
    Code:
    BIOS-e820: [mem 0x0000000096ebf000-0x0000000096fbefff] ACPI NVS
    BIOS-e820: [mem 0x0000000096fbf000-0x0000000096ffefff] ACPI data
    ACPI: RSDP 0x00000000000FE020 000024 (v02 ACRSYS)
    ACPI: XSDT 0x0000000096FFE120 000084 (v01 ACRSYS ACRPRDCT 00000001      01000013)
    ACPI: FACP 0x0000000096FFC000 0000F4 (v04 ACRSYS ACRPRDCT 00000001 1025 00040000)
    ACPI: DSDT 0x0000000096FEF000 009101 (v01 ACRSYS ACRPRDCT 00000000 1025 00040000)
    ACPI: FACS 0x0000000096F6D000 000040
    ACPI: ASF! 0x0000000096FFD000 0000A5 (v32 ACRSYS ACRPRDCT 00000001 1025 00040000)
    ACPI: HPET 0x0000000096FFB000 000038 (v01 ACRSYS ACRPRDCT 00000001 1025 00040000)
    ACPI: APIC 0x0000000096FFA000 00008C (v02 ACRSYS ACRPRDCT 00000001 1025 00040000)
    ACPI: MCFG 0x0000000096FF9000 00003C (v01 ACRSYS ACRPRDCT 00000001 1025 00040000)
    ACPI: SLIC 0x0000000096FEE000 000176 (v01 ACRSYS ACRPRDCT 00000001 1025 00040000)
    ACPI: SSDT 0x0000000096FED000 000BC2 (v01 ACRSYS ACRPRDCT 00001000 1025 00040000)
    ACPI: BOOT 0x0000000096FEB000 000028 (v01 ACRSYS ACRPRDCT 00000001 1025 00040000)
    ACPI: ASPT 0x0000000096FE8000 000034 (v07 ACRSYS ACRPRDCT 00000001 1025 00040000)
    ACPI: SSDT 0x0000000096FE7000 000780 (v01 ACRSYS ACRPRDCT 00003000 1025 00040000)
    ACPI: SSDT 0x0000000096FE6000 000996 (v01 ACRSYS ACRPRDCT 00003000 1025 00040000)
    ACPI: SSDT 0x0000000096FE1000 004B40 (v01 ACRSYS ACRPRDCT 00001000 1025 00040000)
    ACPI: Local APIC address 0xfee00000
    ACPI: PM-Timer IO Port: 0x408
    ACPI: Local APIC address 0xfee00000
    ACPI: LAPIC (acpi_id[0x01] lapic_id[0x00] enabled)
    ACPI: LAPIC (acpi_id[0x02] lapic_id[0x01] enabled)
    ACPI: LAPIC (acpi_id[0x03] lapic_id[0x02] enabled)
    ACPI: LAPIC (acpi_id[0x04] lapic_id[0x03] enabled)
    ACPI: LAPIC (acpi_id[0x05] lapic_id[0x00] disabled)
    ACPI: LAPIC (acpi_id[0x06] lapic_id[0x00] disabled)
    ACPI: LAPIC (acpi_id[0x07] lapic_id[0x00] disabled)
    ACPI: LAPIC (acpi_id[0x08] lapic_id[0x00] disabled)
    ACPI: IOAPIC (id[0x00] address[0xfec00000] gsi_base[0])
    ACPI: INT_SRC_OVR (bus 0 bus_irq 0 global_irq 2 dfl dfl)
    ACPI: INT_SRC_OVR (bus 0 bus_irq 9 global_irq 9 high level)
    ACPI: IRQ0 used by override.
    ACPI: IRQ2 used by override.
    ACPI: IRQ9 used by override.
    Using ACPI (MADT) for SMP configuration information
    ACPI: HPET id: 0x8086a201 base: 0xfed00000
    ACPI: Core revision 20140214
    ACPI: All ACPI Tables successfully acquired
    PM: Registering ACPI NVS region [mem 0x96ebf000-0x96fbefff] (1048576 bytes)
    ACPI FADT declares the system doesn't support PCIe ASPM, so disable it
    ACPI: bus type PCI registered
    acpiphp: ACPI Hot Plug PCI Controller Driver version: 0.5
    ACPI: Added _OSI(Module Device)
    ACPI: Added _OSI(Processor Device)
    ACPI: Added _OSI(3.0 _SCP Extensions)
    ACPI: Added _OSI(Processor Aggregator Device)
    ACPI: Executed 1 blocks of module-level executable AML code
    [Firmware Bug]: ACPI: BIOS _OSI(Linux) query ignored
    ACPI: SSDT 0x0000000096E70718 00067C (v01 PmRef  Cpu0Cst  00003001 INTL 20100121)
    ACPI: Dynamic OEM Table Load:
    ACPI: SSDT 0x0000000000000000 00067C (v01 PmRef  Cpu0Cst  00003001 INTL 20100121)
    ACPI: SSDT 0x0000000096E71A98 000303 (v01 PmRef  ApIst    00003000 INTL 20100121)
    ACPI: Dynamic OEM Table Load:
    ACPI: SSDT 0x0000000000000000 000303 (v01 PmRef  ApIst    00003000 INTL 20100121)
    ACPI: SSDT 0x0000000096E6FD98 000119 (v01 PmRef  ApCst    00003000 INTL 20100121)
    ACPI: Dynamic OEM Table Load:
    ACPI: SSDT 0x0000000000000000 000119 (v01 PmRef  ApCst    00003000 INTL 20100121)
    ACPI: Interpreter enabled
    ACPI Exception: AE_NOT_FOUND, While evaluating Sleep State [\_S1_] (20140214/hwxface-580)
    ACPI Exception: AE_NOT_FOUND, While evaluating Sleep State [\_S2_] (20140214/hwxface-580)
    ACPI: (supports S0 S3 S4 S5)
    ACPI: Using IOAPIC for interrupt routing
    PCI: Using host bridge windows from ACPI; if necessary, use "pci=nocrs" and report a bug
    ACPI: PCI Root Bridge [PCI0] (domain 0000 [bus 00-fe])
    acpi PNP0A08:00: _OSC: OS supports [ExtendedConfig ASPM ClockPM Segments MSI]
    acpi PNP0A08:00: _OSC failed (AE_ERROR); disabling ASPM
    pci 0000:00:01.0: System wakeup disabled by ACPI
    pci 0000:00:1b.0: System wakeup disabled by ACPI
    pci 0000:00:1c.0: System wakeup disabled by ACPI
    pci 0000:00:1d.0: System wakeup disabled by ACPI
    pci 0000:01:00.0: System wakeup disabled by ACPI
    ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKA] (IRQs 1 3 4 5 6 *10 11 12 14 15)
    ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKB] (IRQs 1 3 4 5 6 10 11 12 14 15) *7
    ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKC] (IRQs 1 3 4 5 6 10 11 12 14 15) *0, disabled.
    ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKD] (IRQs 1 3 4 5 6 10 11 12 14 15) *7
    ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKE] (IRQs 1 3 4 5 6 10 11 12 14 15) *0, disabled.
    ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKF] (IRQs 1 3 4 5 6 *10 11 12 14 15)
    ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKG] (IRQs 1 3 4 5 6 10 *11 12 14 15)
    ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKH] (IRQs 1 3 4 5 6 10 *11 12 14 15)
    ACPI: Enabled 9 GPEs in block 00 to 3F
    ACPI : EC: GPE = 0x17, I/O: command/status = 0x66, data = 0x62
    ACPI: bus type USB registered
    PCI: Using ACPI for IRQ routing
    pnp: PnP ACPI init
    ACPI: bus type PNP registered
    pnp 00:00: Plug and Play ACPI device, IDs PNP0200 (active)
    pnp 00:01: Plug and Play ACPI device, IDs INT0800 (active)
    pnp 00:02: Plug and Play ACPI device, IDs PNP0103 (active)
    pnp 00:03: Plug and Play ACPI device, IDs PNP0c04 (active)
    system 00:04: Plug and Play ACPI device, IDs PNP0c02 (active)
    pnp 00:05: Plug and Play ACPI device, IDs PNP0b00 (active)
    system 00:06: Plug and Play ACPI device, IDs INT3f0d PNP0c02 (active)
    pnp 00:07: Plug and Play ACPI device, IDs PNP0303 (active)
    pnp 00:08: Plug and Play ACPI device, IDs ETD0500 PNP0f13 (active)
    system 00:09: Plug and Play ACPI device, IDs PNP0c02 (active)
    system 00:0a: Plug and Play ACPI device, IDs PNP0c01 (active)
    pnp: PnP ACPI: found 11 devices
    ACPI: bus type PNP unregistered
    ACPI: AC Adapter [ACAD] (on-line)
    ACPI: Power Button [PWRB]
    ACPI: Lid Switch [LID0]
    ACPI: Sleep Button [SLPB]
    ACPI: Power Button [PWRF]
    ACPI: Battery Slot [BAT0] (battery present)
    ACPI: Video Device [GFX0] (multi-head: yes  rom: no  post: no)
    acpi device:2f: registered as cooling_device4
    ACPI Exception: AE_NOT_FOUND, Evaluating _DOD (20140214/video-1335)
    ACPI: Video Device [PEGP] (multi-head: no  rom: yes  post: no)
    ACPI Error: [\_SB_.PCI0.GFX0.DD02._BCL] Namespace lookup failure, AE_NOT_FOUND (20140214/psargs-359)
    ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed [\_SB_.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP.DD02._BCL] (Node ffff88015b05f258), AE_NOT_FOUND (20140214/psparse-536)
    ACPI Warning: SystemIO range 0x0000000000000428-0x000000000000042f conflicts with OpRegion 0x0000000000000400-0x000000000000047f (\PMIO) (20140214/utaddress-258)
    ACPI: If an ACPI driver is available for this device, you should use it instead of the native driver
    ACPI Warning: SystemIO range 0x0000000000000540-0x000000000000054f conflicts with OpRegion 0x0000000000000500-0x0000000000000563 (\GPIO) (20140214/utaddress-258)
    ACPI Warning: SystemIO range 0x0000000000000540-0x000000000000054f conflicts with OpRegion 0x0000000000000500-0x000000000000055f (\_SB_.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP.GPIO) (20140214/utaddress-258)
    ACPI: If an ACPI driver is available for this device, you should use it instead of the native driver
    ACPI Warning: SystemIO range 0x0000000000000530-0x000000000000053f conflicts with OpRegion 0x0000000000000500-0x0000000000000563 (\GPIO) (20140214/utaddress-258)
    ACPI Warning: SystemIO range 0x0000000000000530-0x000000000000053f conflicts with OpRegion 0x0000000000000500-0x000000000000055f (\_SB_.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP.GPIO) (20140214/utaddress-258)
    ACPI: If an ACPI driver is available for this device, you should use it instead of the native driver
    ACPI Warning: SystemIO range 0x0000000000000500-0x000000000000052f conflicts with OpRegion 0x0000000000000500-0x0000000000000563 (\GPIO) (20140214/utaddress-258)
    ACPI Warning: SystemIO range 0x0000000000000500-0x000000000000052f conflicts with OpRegion 0x0000000000000500-0x000000000000055f (\_SB_.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP.GPIO) (20140214/utaddress-258)
    ACPI: If an ACPI driver is available for this device, you should use it instead of the native driver
    ACPI Warning: SystemIO range 0x0000000000004040-0x000000000000405f conflicts with OpRegion 0x0000000000004040-0x000000000000404f (\_SB_.PCI0.SBUS.SMBI) (20140214/utaddress-258)
    ACPI: If an ACPI driver is available for this device, you should use it instead of the native driver
    acer_wmi: Acer Laptop ACPI-WMI Extras
    acer_wmi: Brightness must be controlled by acpi video driver
    ACPI : EC: GPE storm detected(12 GPEs), transactions will use polling mode
    Do you have any idea? These errors occurs both with and without using the lax option.

    Any idea? I'm still looking, but I cannot figure it out.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Italy
    Age
    41
    Posts
    88
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: ACPI no thermal informations, cpu fan slow and overheating

    I tried running an Ubuntu Live, but same result: sensors are not displaying anything about fans.

  5. #5
    dobbi Guest

    Re: ACPI no thermal informations, cpu fan slow and overheating

    Configuration?

    Code:
    $ grep -i fan /etc/sensors3.conf 
    # Fans
        label fan1 "PSU Fan"
        label fan2 "CPU Fan"
        label fan3 "System FAN2"
        label fan4 "System FAN3"
        label fan5 "System FAN4"
    # Fans
        label fan1 "CPU Fan"
        label fan2 "System FAN2"
        label fan3 "System FAN3"
        label fan4 "System FAN4"
        label fan7 "PSU Fan"
    - Lack of I2C packages?

    Code:
    $ rpm -qa | egrep -i "sensor|i2c" | sort
    i2c-tools-3.1.0-11.fc20.x86_64
    lm_sensors-3.3.4-10.fc20.x86_64
    lm_sensors-libs-3.3.4-10.fc20.x86_64
    lm_sensors-sensord-3.3.4-10.fc20.x86_64
    qt-mobility-sensors-1.2.2-0.16.20140317git169da60c.fc20.x86_64
    xsensors-0.73-1.fc20.x86_64
    - Obsolete settings because an kernel upgrade? run sensors-detect again.

    - Is there a fan device anywhere?

    Code:
    $ find /sys -name fan
    /sys/bus/acpi/drivers/fan
    find: ‘/sys/kernel/debug’: Permission denied
    And yes your ACPI tables are messed up you need a good one, you can either extract those and send it to the kernel people in the ACPICA which would be happy to assist or maybe not or fix it yourself, why it is important? That table is what describes hardware and actions to be taken. This is not something devs can solve directly they need help with people sending them bad tables that they can then fix and more importantly they need more people working on it because of the shear number of hardware available in the market

    Results from "Acer Aspire 4830TG ACPI" search.
    https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...nvidia-optimus (This one shows why Acer Aspire 4830TG" will not resume or suspend correctly.

    Also pwm has to be enabled and ACPI disabled for it to have configurations.
    https://ubuntuforums.org/archive/ind...t-1981761.html

    You can have one or the other not both Power Management was the old way superseeded by ACPI.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Italy
    Age
    41
    Posts
    88
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: ACPI no thermal informations, cpu fan slow and overheating

    Hi, thanks for your very interesting reply!

    1) my configuration /etc/sensors3.conf is exactly the same of yours
    2) I was missing some of the packages you had, notably i2c-sensors. My actual packages are:

    Code:
    i2c-tools-3.1.0-11.fc20.x86_64
    lm_sensors-3.3.4-10.fc20.x86_64
    lm_sensors-libs-3.3.4-10.fc20.x86_64
    lm_sensors-sensord-3.3.4-10.fc20.x86_64
    qt5-qtsensors-5.3.1-1.fc20.x86_64
    qt5-qtsensors-devel-5.3.1-1.fc20.x86_64
    qt5-qtsensors-doc-5.3.1-1.fc20.noarch
    qt5-qtsensors-examples-5.3.1-1.fc20.x86_64
    qt-mobility-sensors-1.2.2-0.16.20140317git169da60c.fc20.i686
    qt-mobility-sensors-1.2.2-0.16.20140317git169da60c.fc20.x86_64
    xsensors-0.73-1.fc20.x86_64
    3) sensors-detect already re-run

    4) I've got only /sys/bus/acpi/drivers/fan

    Thanks very much for your help about ACPI: I'll take a look at your documentation and do what you suggested asap.

    Thanks *a lot*! I'll report here the results as soon as I get some

  7. #7
    dobbi Guest

    Re: ACPI no thermal informations, cpu fan slow and overheating

    https://github.com/Bumblebee-Project...for-Developers
    https://github.com/Bumblebee-Project...-of-PM-methods

    List of places where to find people from ACPICA
    https://www.acpica.org/community

    Bugzilla for ACPICA
    https://bugs.acpica.org/

    ACPICA tools.
    Code:
    $ rpm -ql acpica-tools-20140424-3.fc20.x86_64 | egrep -i "usr/bin"
    /usr/bin/acpibin
    /usr/bin/acpidump-acpica (this is what is used to dump the ACPI tables)
    /usr/bin/acpiexamples
    /usr/bin/acpiexec
    /usr/bin/acpihelp
    /usr/bin/acpinames
    /usr/bin/acpisrc
    /usr/bin/acpixtract-acpica
    /usr/bin/iasl
    How I did to dump and extract the tables a long time ago.
    Code:
    $ su -
    # acpidump-acpica -o /home/thetick/Documents/acpi/dat/acpidump
    # chown thetick:thetick /home/thetick/Documents/acpi/dat/acpidump
    # cd  /home/thetick/Documents/acpi/dat/acpitables
    # acpixtract-acpica -a /home/thetick/Documents/acpi/dat/acpidump
    Fans, are there devices under the :/sys/bus/acpi/drivers/fan?

    Code:
    $ ls -1  /sys/bus/acpi/drivers/fan
    bind
    PNP0C0B:00
    PNP0C0B:01
    PNP0C0B:02
    PNP0C0B:03
    PNP0C0B:04
    uevent
    unbind
    If there are you can send command directly to it and see if they are working.

    e.g. post number 5:

    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1783198

    Checking the fan current state:

    Code:
    $ cat /sys/bus/acpi/drivers/fan/PNP0C0B:00/thermal_cooling/cur_state
    0
    While messing around I found this:

    http://www.who.is.free.fr/wiki/doku.php?id=fan (jackpot! LoL)
    Last edited by dobbi; 8th September 2014 at 12:26 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Italy
    Age
    41
    Posts
    88
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: ACPI no thermal informations, cpu fan slow and overheating

    No, I don't have the fans in the directory:

    Code:
    $ ls /sys/bus/acpi/drivers/fan/
    bind  uevent  unbind
    That's why I had no idea how to query the fan state.

    But, I must say that while booting Linux, I noticed that fan speed actually changes, so maybe there is some degree of control over the fan, but it changes during the booting process (or something changes during the process which slows down the fans).

    Unluckily, I have no idea on how to find out what's happening during the booting process.

    Thanks again for your help and effort.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Italy
    Age
    41
    Posts
    88
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: ACPI no thermal informations, cpu fan slow and overheating

    I also tried booting without ACPI (using acpi=off in grub). The fans are still spinning slowly, but I have no fan in /sys:

    Code:
    # find /sys -name fan
    #
    pwmconfig is still now working (no pwm-capable sensors) and sensors give the same result.

  10. #10
    dobbi Guest

    Re: ACPI no thermal informations, cpu fan slow and overheating

    It was always like this? or started after a Kernel update?

    Do you have ACPI Bios settings? (last resort if it doesn't have any settings or not one helps go to bugzilla)

    Is the ACPI the culprit?


    Trying to boot without ACPI:

    Options:

    - Disable ACPI in BIOS.

    - Disable ACPI in GRUB.

    Locate GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX and add acpi=off, you need to be root to do this.

    Code:
    $ cat /etc/default/grub
    GRUB_TIMEOUT="5"
    GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="$(sed 's, release .*$,,g' /etc/system-release)"
    GRUB_DEFAULT="saved"
    GRUB_DISABLE_SUBMENU="true"
    GRUB_TERMINAL_OUTPUT="console"
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="rd.lvm.lv=fedora/swap vconsole.font=latarcyrheb-sun16 rd.lvm.lv=fedora/root $([ -x /usr/sbin/rhcrashkernel-param ] && /usr/sbin/rhcrashkernel-param || :) rhgb quiet acpi=off"
    GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true"
    export GRUB_COLOR_NORMAL="light-gray/black"
    export GRUB_COLOR_HIGHLIGHT="yellow/green"
    To edit that file:
    Code:
    $ su -
    # gedit /etc/default/grub&
    Then remake the grub.cfg
    Code:
    # grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
    source: https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documenta...parameters.txt (Kernel ACPI options)

    Then try sensors-detect again reboot and see if it recognized any fans.

    If not, is probably a good idea to remove the acpi=off and file a bug report under "Component: Kernel"


    Is either the ACPI table or a kernel driver, to debug this stuff it will be painful/time consuming and I will save you from having to endure my learning curve and refer you to the people who can really help you.
    https://bugzilla.redhat.com/buglist....uicksearch=fan

    Resources:
    http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/html_singl...HOWTO/#daemons
    https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documenta...parameters.txt (Kernel ACPI options)
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/Refer...ITricksAndTips

  11. #11
    dobbi Guest

    Re: ACPI no thermal informations, cpu fan slow and overheating

    Quote Originally Posted by akiross
    I also tried booting without ACPI (using acpi=off in grub). The fans are still spinning slowly, but I have no fan in /sys:

    Code:
    # find /sys -name fan
    #
    pwmconfig is still now working (no pwm-capable sensors) and sensors give the same result.
    Did you run sensors-detect again to see if it saw the fans?
    Are there bios settings that may be relevant?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Italy
    Age
    41
    Posts
    88
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: ACPI no thermal informations, cpu fan slow and overheating

    Yes, when booting without ACPI (acpi=off) I tried running sensors-detect, but it always loaad coretemp module, and modprobing it will not result in any fan being detected.

    No, there are not relevant bios settings about ACPI or fans... I tried upgrading to a more recent bios, but nothing changed.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Italy
    Age
    41
    Posts
    88
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: ACPI no thermal informations, cpu fan slow and overheating

    Sorry, I missed your previous post. I tried again configuring grub and starting without acpi (I previously added the parameter by editing grub at boot), re-running sensors-config and still I have no fan in /sys, nor any listed by sensors.

    BUT I noticed that, without ACPI, fans are spinning faster (or, at least, they are a bit louder). Not sure if they are at maximum speed, though...

    So, I find hard to understand if ACPI is to blame, because fans are spinning faster without it, but still I have no control over the fans... Darn.

    I think I will file a bug (to kernel or ACPI?)

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Italy
    Age
    41
    Posts
    88
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: ACPI no thermal informations, cpu fan slow and overheating

    Ok, I can confirm that without ACPI fans are working "properly", meaning that when the laptop is at high temperature (65C, which was the normal temperature using ACPI), the fan will spin fast. Now the temperature has fallen to 55C, which is acceptable, and the fans are running quietly.

    Still no control over the fans, and I have no idea about how to fix the "Ok temperature", but at least it is a workaround.

  15. #15
    dobbi Guest

    Re: ACPI no thermal informations, cpu fan slow and overheating

    ACPI is responsible for more than just the fans, shutting it off is a band-aid, it needs a proper fix.

    But you now have a very good hint of where the problem may be. The ACPI tables or drivers.

    This is a kernel issue.

    The Intel firmware is controlling it now ACPI stands for Advanced Configuration and Power Interface, you can't control the fans because you disabled the OS interface, the bios is regulating everything now if I understood correctly what I read about it, some bios can do it and some cannot it depends on the firmware, but a lot are buggy and depend on the OS to correct those issues, hence the importance of ACPI.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanc...ower_Interface
    http://www.acpi.info/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Fan not running - laptop overheating
    By Nevablade in forum Hardware
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 21st March 2007, 04:56 PM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 4th December 2006, 09:24 AM
  3. acpi thermal module is missing
    By feta in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 23rd October 2005, 04:23 AM
  4. fc2 slows cpu fan even with -no-acpi and no apmd
    By rednoise in forum EOL (End Of Life) Versions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11th August 2004, 10:01 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •