Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 26th August 2014, 08:51 PM
luminarycrush Offline

linuxfirefox
Upgraded to F20 - Firefox crash-o-rama

I've recently upgraded from F17 to F20 (upgrade meaning: new OS install, preserved home directory) and Firefox will not stay running. It crashes multiple times per hour. In F17 I ran 25+ windows with over 100 tabs total with rarely an issue; now, trimmed down to 10-12 windows and 30-40 tabs it crashes all the time.

I've tried the following and nothing has made a difference:

1) removed all Adobe and Flash plugins
2) removed IceTea plugin
3) created a new profile in Firefox
4) removed the contents of /.config/fontconfig and /.fonts (some recommended font customization was causing some error messages in Firefox)
5) use Cinnamon instead of Gnome Shell
6) erase /var/tmp/orbit* and restart
7) disabled all extensions

I run Firefox in the console and there is no message 95% of the time when Firefox crashes - occasionally I see something about ibus.

However, when I start Firefox I always see this:

Code:
(process:3075): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion 'sys_page_size == 0' failed

(firefox:3075): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::sm-connect after class was initialised

(firefox:3075): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::show-crash-dialog after class was initialised

(firefox:3075): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::display after class was initialised

(firefox:3075): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::default-icon after class was initialised

I sometimes see this:

Code:
DtsGetHWFeatures: Create File Failed
DtsGetHWFeatures: Create File Failed
Running DIL (3.22.0) Version
DtsDeviceOpen: Opening HW in mode 0
DtsDeviceOpen: Create File Failed

I rarely see this:

Code:
** (firefox:4646): WARNING **: Can not stat /var/tmp/orbit-<my UID>

Any suggestionts besides "use Chrome" (I need 64-bit for Java, and there are plenty of "Oh, Snap!"s too by the way)
Old 27th August 2014, 02:57 AM
luminarycrush Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Upgraded to F20 - Firefox crash-o-rama

Every once in a great while I'll get a message that the plugin containter was killed by SIGSEV, but this is unusual.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ffplugincontainercrash.png
Views:	69
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	26227  
Old 27th August 2014, 04:13 AM
marko Offline

linuxfirefox

I'd run memtest86 right away and see if the RAM is bad. Is it always Firefox or does anything else crash?
Old 27th August 2014, 06:21 PM
luminarycrush Offline

linuxfirefox

It's always Firefox, though once a week Cinnamon does something funny but I leave it running for days. This type of thing didn't happen on FC17 is the point though - it started with the move to FC20.
Old 28th August 2014, 07:10 AM
nsnbm Offline

linuxfirefox

I suppose if your RAM checks out and your firefox still crashes, and you need firefox, you could try and install the firefox-...tar.bz2 version from mozilla and see how that one goes.
Old 6th September 2014, 06:58 PM
marko Offline

linuxfirefox

Whoa, I just re-read your post 1 slowly. You kept the home directory, which means you kept the old ~/.mozilla folder.

So you're really running the .mozilla/firefox/*.default/* files you had on Fedora 17 with Fedora 20.

Have you tried backing up your bookmarks to a file, maybe say ~/firefox-bookmarks ,
(use Bookmarks -> Show All Bookmarks -> Import and Backup )
then exit Firefox and move the .mozilla directory out of the way to a new name (for example '.mozilla.old' )
Quote:
mv ~/.mozilla ~/.mozilla.old
now restart Firefox and import your bookmarks from that file back into Firefox

I suspect Firefox just can't tolerate using the old Fedora 17 sqlite db files on Fedora 20 or else some other system support in F20 is too different. By moving .mozilla out of the way, that next start of Firefox will rebuild all the sqlite files from scratch. Importing the bookmarks is from an html file, so it should be able to handle that. Of course that would lose your cookies, saved passwords, etc. You can try to copy the various files that stored those from .mozilla.old/firefox/...
back into your new Firefox but then they might have been the cause of the problem.

Last edited by marko; 6th September 2014 at 09:40 PM.
Old 6th September 2014, 08:22 PM
R3v0lut10nary Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
In F17 I ran 25+ windows with over 100 tabs total with rarely an issue; now, trimmed down to 10-12 windows and 30-40 tabs it crashes all the time.

What does a man do with 25 firefox windows with 4 tabs each?
Old 7th September 2014, 05:55 AM
nsnbm Offline

linuxfirefox

Important spotting marko in #6, which would have meant that installing the ..tar.bz2 suggested in #5 would likely have the same result as installing the rpm version. I have also "fixed" my firefox in the past with just this suggestion made by marko.

Tags
crashorama, f20, firefox, upgraded