<---- template headericclude ----->
Brass and Amber -- (more e16 themes)
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking Brass and Amber -- (more e16 themes)

Sometimes it's all about the eye candy -- and the freedom to do with it as you damn well please.

(As if I didn't already have enough to do this afternoon.)

I had the opportunity this morning to do some work on a Macbook Pro®. One of the things I immediately noticed was the polish on it. Whereas there are many things about the Mac® I do not particularly care for, and so much more so can be said for Windows Vista/7®, I will give them this. They do understand the need for, and have made the effort to, put the needed details and finishing touches on their default themes.

Neither one of these well thought out environments considered monochromatic, over-simplistic, hyper-stylized goose-stepping conformity to be a good thing. (Until the advent of Windows 8® -- but that's a different story. <....> )

In fact, it is de facto evident that having a rudimentary understanding of the concept, "A good appearance commands respect", guided them to good advantage. The bottom line being, they didn't look like they had been cobbled together in someone's garage. That's a good thing. The heartlessly plain is -- by definition -- heartless. If it has no appeal to the eye, it presents a constant source of irritation to use. And that's the sort of user-experience that has little to recommend it. All else being equal, and given the chance to effectively mitigate that itch, people will naturally migrate toward the beautiful, and away from the irritating and/or ugly.

Enter GDM, and default Gnome 3/Gnome Shell ... <....>

Which, over time leads to ... <....>
    Which, soon leads to
    Code:
    yum install cinnamon/KDE/XFCE/E17 etc.
    Or, in my case, (being pretty much a "fringe" sort of a guy).
    Code:
    yum install e16
    . (Yeah ... I do like to fiddle and twiddle.) <....>

Which brings me all the way back to the eye candy thing.

I'll freely admit it. I like "shadows" under my windows, colors in my drag bars, easy to find scroll bars I can actually see, and some individuality in the presentation of all the above. And, that's every kind of possible in e16. But ... there really isn't much of a GUI to adjust the size, scope, color, opacity, blur and direction of them. You gotta do some of it yourself.

So I went digging in the config files.

Figure 1: Shadows

Ya just gotta love that e16! <....>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Credit Where Credit Is Due -- (aka, another e16 gush)

E16 eh? Hadn't heard of that DE before. Personally, I run Cinnamon. Aside from Gnome 3 being ugly, using it is a PITA. If you want eye candy, Cinnamon has lots of themes you can download, and they are easy to install.
    Lenovo W530
    Fedora 21 With Gnome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The look of OS X has, to my eyes, improved over the 10+ years since its release, but it's been refinement, not redesign. There aren't very many third-party themes for OS X, so the two standard looks seem to keep people happy. I'd bet most Mac-only users have never thought about looking for themes.

OS X is, at this point, the most conservative design. When iOS rolled out, much noise was made about OS X merging with it. That really has not happened. They did throw in one of those Full Screen Menus with Big Icons. Unlike similar menus in Gnome Shell, Unity, etc., it can be happily ignored and apps found and launched like always.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too be honest, Gnome3/Gnome Shell really does have a bit going for it. It just seems like the designers got "stuck on ugly". Yeah, I understand the concept that it's aimed eventually at a thumb-twiddler wipe-n-swipe interface, but does that really mean it has to be simple, stark and minimalist to the point of visual repugnance? <....>

And this whole business of trying to "phase out" scroll bars and scroll bar control arrows is just plain damn foolish! Mice still exist, and they will for quite a while longer. <....>

Sometimes I'm hard tempted to dig back into it and try to design a theme that could actually dress it up enough not embarrass its own potential. <....>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's no right or wrong about the look of a GUI. Some people like shiny, glistening, wobbly transparent bits, some people don't. I don't. I find them distracting and generally purposeless. I also don't like dark themes and these so-called flat themes that are making the rounds. That's only my preference. I also like broccoli.

Design decisions are a different matter. I've said before I think Gnome made a fundamental mistake by not separating the dock from the overview and the workspace display. All three elements should be able to be exposed separately. I seldom use scroll bars and their arrows but lots and lots of people do, so deprecating them *without finding a better replacement* is inane.

The flipside of Gnome's sometimes stumbling attempts at innovation is the lack of it pretty much everywhere else. I don't think we've come near the best desktop solution.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been fiddling around with this new theme a bit. Especially since the "blood Moon" lent itself so well to "high drama" wallpaper. <....>

Still quite a bit to do, but this is what I've got so far. It's a dual screen system, so the upload requires two parts.

I suppose the first thing folks will notice is ... it's not blue. But it is nonetheless fedora.

Comments and feedback welcome ...

Figure 2: Left screen

Figure 3: Right screen

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

That does look really nice.

The only change I would make to change the fonts to get rid of the serifs. One day when we have 600dpi displays then perhaps serifs will be OK, but I find them to be a bit of clutter on most current displays.

I have many ideas, even some I haven't thought of yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks. <....>

Proof once again that flexibility is a good thing and YMMV. <....> Oddly enough, my tired old eyes deal far better with serif fonts than otherwise. If I try to use sans-serif fonts, I have to jump the point size by one or two points to read them clearly. <....> Fortunately, I finally cudgelled my thickened thinker long enough to figure out how to easily change fonts in e16. So in my e16 themes, I give two options. One choice with serif, and another without. DejaVu in both iterations works well, but for myself, I'm partial to Georgia.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the brass and amber color, nice. But where are the minimize/maximize/close buttons?

I use Sans 10 for XFCE, think I've been using Sans for years.

CronoCloud
    Running Fedora 39 64-bit on a HP EliteDesk 800 G1, 3.6GHz i7-4790 CPU (4 cores, 8 threads), 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD + 2TB HDD, MSI GTX1650 OC 4GB GDDR6 video card. Asus MG248qr 24" 1080p monitor, using 1080P (1920x1080) over HDMI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those are not particularly intuitive, but they are there and immediately evident on mouse-over.

(BTW, the tool tip background is a work in progress. I don't like the way it renders, so it's on the list to be fixed.)

Figure 4: Iconify

Figure 5: Toggle Maximize

Figure 6: Close/Kill

EDIT: (Tool tip background shape fixed, but still working on the colors.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All the pictures are broken because they are somehow reduced to little dots.
    The previews on your album work though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm.

Checking ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These screenshots have a grandfather clock like appeal to them. I guess I must be getting old too...

Spam War Sam Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchy
    All the pictures are broken because they are somehow reduced to little dots.
    The previews on your album work though.
    Look pretty normal here.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If I had that theme I think I would be wanting to craft some nice brass bits for the laptop itself.

I have many ideas, even some I haven't thought of yet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast