FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Juk and Amarok require unavailable plugin

    After yesterday's yum update juk started giving a pop-up error that says something like this.
    Install GStreamer Resources
    A program requires an additional plugin for this operation
    FILE protocol source
    The following plugin is required. Do you want to search for this now?
    When I click continue search it can't find what it wants.
    Could not find plugin in any configured software source
    Amarok does this also.

    When run from konsole I get this.
    [ken@owl ~]$ juk
    [ken@owl ~]$ ** Message: PackageKit: xid = 52428830
    ** Message: PackageKit: Codec nice name: FILE protocol source
    ** Message: PackageKit: non-structure: gstreamer(null)(urisource-file)()(64bit)
    ** Message: PackageKit: Did not install codec: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.PackageKit.Cancelled: Aborted by the user
    All worked fine before the last update. I recall some libre-office and other being updated but don't remember what else. The music is .ogg so shouldn't have codex issues. Music plays OK but having to close a pop-up after each track and restarting play is annoying.

    This is using Fedora20 Jam-KDE spin.

    Ken.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    In your closet
    Posts
    16,562
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Juk and Amarok require unavailable plugin

    You can see what was installed using the yum history command.
    PHP Code:
    sudo yum history list 
    There will be an ID number in the left column and in the 4th column it will show if the transaction was install, update, erase, etc. Using the ID number you can get expanded details of the transaction. For example:
    PHP Code:
    yum history info 22 
    Using these tools should give you an idea of what was installed or updated recently and what has suddenly changed.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Juk and Amarok require unavailable plugin

    Thank you glennzo for that education on yum history. The closest I could figure as relevant was these two.

    Updated wavpack-4.60.1-8.fc20.x86_64 @koji-override-0/$releasever
    Updated libreport-gtk-2.1.12-2.fc20.x86_64 @updates

    But, I don't even know how they may relate.

    In the meantime I found this SUSE thread.
    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...ds-end-of-song

    Deleting ~/.gstreamer-0.10/registry.x86_64.bin (gstreamer cache) seems to have fixed the problem. The file was recreated when I ran juk again so I guess the old one got corrupted some how.

    Thanks.
    Ken.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Juk and Amarok require unavailable plugin

    Well, this is embarrassing. The above fix didn't survive a reboot. Next attempt is to replace gstreamer with vlc.

    yum install phonon-backend-vlc

    Open system settings, click Multimedia, Audio and Video Settings, Music, Backend. Click on VLC then the Prefer button to move VLC above GStreamer then apply. Now log-out and back in (I rebooted). Should now be using VLC-backend instead of GStreamer.

    So far this works for me and has survived another reboot. I don't know if this is GStreamer problem related to KDE or JAM.

    Ken.

Similar Threads

  1. totem require a plugin, but I can't find it?
    By vertextao in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 6th June 2011, 03:44 AM
  2. Amarok K3B Plugin Gone?
    By THE Ralfinator in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 19th November 2006, 10:15 PM
  3. Amarok with Xine-plugin?
    By Stone Dragon in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 24th March 2006, 12:48 PM
  4. FC4--gstreamer mp3 plugin-amaroK
    By mkoljack in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15th June 2005, 05:16 AM
  5. juk help
    By ssaady in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 30th June 2004, 03:42 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •