FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Catalyst 13.11 beta 6 and Fedora 20

    Is anyone here using Catalyst drivers? And, is anyone here using GNOME Shell and Catalyst?

    I got a black screen at startup using propietary drivers with GNOME, I installed LXDE in the meantime and the problem seems to be GNOME Shell not starting. Also Totem gives segmentation fault.

    With open source drivers I got everything working, but I can't use them because they make my screen flicker every 0.2 seconds. That makes my screen unusable.

    So, I reported this bug on bugzilla,gnome.org and is bug 712340 if anyone is having the same issue as me.

    Also, in the meantime, would be some workaround that any of you know of?

    P.S. Sorry for my weird english.
    If life is going to exist in a Universe of this size, then the one thing it cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    312
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Catalyst 13.11 beta 6 and Fedora 20

    Exactly same problem!

    Good thing is that my R9 270X doesn't flick so I can still live on with RadeonSI open source driver.
    Fedora Ambassador & Translator
    Editor of LinuxTOY

    Take a Deep Breath out of Windows

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Catalyst 13.11 beta 6 and Fedora 20

    I got GNOME Shell working, but I had to rebuild some packages. Also I found out that besides Totem, also Cheese and Bijiben have this issue.

    I followed this guide:
    http://hacktux.com/fedora/source/rpm

    1. Install tools:
    sudo yum -y install yum-utils rpmdevtools

    2. Setup RPM folders and subfolders:
    rpmdev-setuptree

    3. Change working directory to SRPMS:
    cd ~/rpmbuild/SRPMS/

    4. Download sources:
    yumdownloader --source cogl

    5. Install build dependencies.
    sudo yum-builddep cogl-1.16.0-2.fc20.src.rpm

    6. Install source package:
    rpm -ivh cogl-1.16.0-2.fc20.src.rpm

    7. Change working directory to SPECS
    cd ~/rpmbuild/SPECS/

    8. Edit spec file
    nano cogl.spec

    Note: Changes I made in spec files (only for cogl, clutter and gnome-shell):
    https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=712340#c2

    9. Build package.
    rpmbuild -bb cogl.spec

    10. Change working directory to RPMS (there is where rpm files are after building.)
    cd ~/rpmbuild/RPMS/$(arch)

    11. Install, reinstall or update packages.
    sudo yum reinstall cogl-1.16.0-2.fc20.x86_64.rpm
    sudo yum install cogl-devel-1.16.0-2.fc20.x86_64.rpm

    Note: If you are updating to a highest version use update option for yum.

    In this order, repeat steps 3 to 11 for each package, replacing name and version:
    1. cogl
    2. clutter (needs rebuilt cogl-devel)
    3. gnome-shell (needs rebuilt clutter-devel)

    Optional (rebuild only if you use this software):
    - totem
    - cheese
    - bijiben
    Last edited by Dyskette; 21st November 2013 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Made text readable. Added cheese and bijiben.
    If life is going to exist in a Universe of this size, then the one thing it cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.

Similar Threads

  1. ati-catalyst 13.8 beta 2 saga continues
    By davfel in forum Hardware
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 22nd August 2013, 04:56 PM
  2. catalyst 13.8 beta 2
    By rogerdv in forum Hardware
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 20th August 2013, 02:31 PM
  3. AMD Catalyst and Fedora 18 Beta KDE
    By JadElClemens in forum F18 Development
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 8th December 2012, 07:45 PM
  4. [SOLVED]
    Installing Catalyst 12.11 beta on Fedora 17?
    By mikeym in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11th November 2012, 10:23 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 3rd November 2012, 12:55 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •