Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 12th December 2004, 10:06 PM
crackers Offline
Retired Community Manager

You know it's time to re-install when...

grep throws a segfault.

I have absolutely no idea what happened, or when, but here I was crusing along on my upgrade from FC2 to FC3 - then I couldn't get to GMail. Then I was having problems with the Apple movie trailers site. So I started to go poking around /etc to see if I could find anything. Okay, let's grep for some stuff in /etc - segfault?!?!?!?!

*sigh*

Obviously, I'm back up and running fine with a fresh installation. This is why I keep /home on a separate partition.
Linux User #28251 (April '93)
Professional Java Geek :cool:
Old 12th December 2004, 11:15 PM
piedamaro Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackers
grep throws a segfault.

I have absolutely no idea what happened, or when, but here I was crusing along on my upgrade from FC2 to FC3 - then I couldn't get to GMail. Then I was having problems with the Apple movie trailers site. So I started to go poking around /etc to see if I could find anything. Okay, let's grep for some stuff in /etc - segfault?!?!?!?!

*sigh*

Obviously, I'm back up and running fine with a fresh installation. This is why I keep /home on a separate partition.
I've suffered a similar issue: I had a lot of programs to segfault on startup, it turned to be a failed prelinking, running /etc/cron.daily/prelink again solved the issue.
Old 12th December 2004, 11:39 PM
crackers Offline

Oh, crud. Good catch. Well, at least I have a cleaner system to mess up.
Old 13th December 2004, 12:52 AM
imdeemvp Offline

It was reported days after the new released of fc3. But if you run your updates right away the bug was fixed: http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/sho...hlight=eggcups

Easiest and most friendly desktop ever is PCLinuxOS! Includes all this apps. Just try it.

"The greater the struggle THE greater the achievment."

Do you know HIM?

If you are an idiot click here. NThis will test you linux skills :D
Old 13th December 2004, 01:01 AM
jtang613 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackers
This is why I keep /home on a separate partition.
I narrowly averted disaster today too. Been moving some hefty (GB+) files around on my /home partition when I began experiencing very strange behaviour ...
- File write failures
- Read failures
- ls: Failed. Input/Output Error

My entire /home partition began randomly locking up, despite reboots and /tmp clearing and "asking nicely".

So after some knuckle-cracking and head-banging I logged in as root. <cue ominous theme music>

I use the XFS (filesystem) for all my partitions, so my first task was to umount /home and run xfs_check /home. This revealed numerous "Bad magic number for inode" errors (about 30). Son-of-a-***** ! I gues there's a first for everything. Actually, I think this might stem from me accidentally tripping my powerbar when my PC was under heavy load a few days ago.

Anyway, my /home partition has a lot of stuff that I really need - and haven't yet backed up this week. So I then mounted /home and ran xfsdump -f /mnt/store /home to backup all my valuebles before unmounting it again and running xfs_repair /dev/md2. This handy tool cleared up those gremlins in less than 2 minutes on my 80GB /home partition.

It was a big relief, so I just thought I'd share the drama.

ciao,
Jason
Old 14th December 2004, 02:35 AM
Shadow Skill Offline

Hmm is this a trend? My startx and system-config-display magically disappeared yesterday..I ended up formatting / just before I read Crackers suggestion. Then Crackers himself ends up nuking his own / before reading about the prelink potential fix...Then you Tang today avoid disaster with your own system. I sense a pattern of great evil...

Please vote for this bug and help me make GAYT [Go As You Type ]a standard option in Firefox.
Old 14th December 2004, 04:51 AM
crackers Offline

There's a vey large difference - i had interrupted a prelink run and had (apparently) some files that were only partially processed. This rendered the whole system basically unstable. I'm actually quite glad I did do the re-install: I had some pretty crusty old config files that were so heavily modified I couldn't tell which way was up in them any more. I look more upon it as a needed spring cleaning - although a bit early in my case.
Old 14th December 2004, 11:06 PM
Jman Offline

Hopefully the retweaking of those config files won't take too long. That and installing all the random software I have is why I'm not too keen on reinstalling.
Old 15th December 2004, 04:38 AM
crackers Offline

Actually, the reason the configs have been tweaked so much was to make them work from upgrade to upgrade. "Fixing" the few I needed to after the install took about 5 minutes. And 90% of the "random software" I install these days ends up in /opt. My usual problem is getting rid of the extra packages that I don't use. (Don't ask me why, it's an old habit from when disks were about 1/1000th the size they are now.)